The UW Oshkosh Police Department recruits Community Service Officers throughout the year. A few things to note:
- UWOPD hires students who are studying any major.
- Students who are interested in applying must be enrolled in college with at least 6 credits
- Students from UW Oshkosh, UW Fox Valley, UW Fond du Lac, Fox Valley Technical College and other area campuses who are in good academic standing are eligible to apply. If you’re not sure whether you are eligible give us a call.
Community Service Officer (CSO) Job Description
The main purpose of a CSO is to ensure safety and protection by promoting an environment that is conducive to personal growth in an academic community setting. The CSO position is a non-sworn position that supports the mission of the UW Oshkosh Police Department.
All CSOs are trained to patrol the campus and perform a variety of duties including:
- assisting officers or staff members when requested
- responding to fire and medical calls
- enforcing parking regulations
- providing Safewalks and Saferides for community members (staff, faculty, students and guests)
- reporting any activities that are suspicious or illegal
- provide event security
- use proactive policing strategies to solve problems and develop programs
- provide residence hall security
The CSOs are uniformed personnel who wear a duty belt equipped with specific tools to help them perform their duties. They attend ongoing training in defense tactics, conflict resolution, CPR, event security, and a variety of other job specific topics. The CSOs are also equipped with radios that connect direct to UWOPD dispatch and the sworn personnel who are on-duty.
- Eligible for employment in the US
- At least 18 years of age
- No felony convictions
- Good verbal and written communication skills are preferred
- Ability to react quickly and effectively to stressful situations
- Ability to handle several tasks simultaneously
- Candidates must be of good character
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
There are currently several ways to apply:
- You can log into Handshake and click on “Community Service Officer” in the job section and then complete the application process through this system.
- You can download the application here, fill it out and mail it to
Community Service Officer Position
738 High Ave
Oshkosh, WI 54901
- You can stop in at the Police Department, request a copy of the application then complete it and return it or mail it in as described above.
- A preliminary background check is performed after the application is turned in to determine eligibility.
- After the background check, eligible candidates are invited for an interview.
- Successful candidates in the interview will be given a conditional offer of employment pending a background check, which will include a criminal history check and verification of student status and eligibility.
- The candidate may accept the conditional offer at this time and an orientation meeting is set up.
If you have questions about the application process please contact: