In an effort to keep our students safe, UW Oshkosh has a Safewalk program that provides trained Community Service Officers (CSOs) to safely escort community members on and around campus during the evening and night hours.
The CSOs are trained in defensive tactics, they patrol in pairs and they have a direct link to the Police Department through police radios.
Note: In an effort to alleviate fears of requesting an escort while intoxicated, no questions are asked unless the welfare of the requester, the CSOs or the general public is in question.
Safewalks are available every evening. If you’re interested in using this service just give us a call or use the app to make a request and we’ll let you know what options we have each night.
General Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Wednesday 5 p.m. – 2:30 a.m.
Thursday – Saturday 7:30 p.m. – 4:00 a.m.
Safewalk or Saferide Request Process
- Use UWO Mobile to “Chat w/UWOPD” or call the UW Oshkosh Police Department at (920) 424-1212 to request a walk
- You will be requested to provide your name, affiliation with the University, call-back phone number, your current location and the destination of your requested Safewalk.
- Remain in the area provided to the dispatcher.
- Remain available at the phone number provided to the dispatcher in the event that you need to be re-contacted for address clarification or an update as to when the CSOs will arrive at your location.
- Once you place your request, you will be given a wait estimate. Remember that this is an estimate not a guaranteed time.
- You should be watching for the CSOs to arrive.
- Safewalk personnel will not wait more than 5 minutes at your pick up location. They will attempt to contact you at the phone number you provided however, if you’re not there and do not answer your phone for a period of 5 minutes they will have to move on to complete other requests that are likely pending.
Download and Use UWO Mobile –
The app is available for both iPhone and Android phones.
You can request a Safewalk by clicking “Chat w/UWOPD”.