UWO Go is a non-emergency service designed to provide a safe ride for students and employees on and near the UW Oshkosh campus. UWO Go runs seven days a week when school is in session and there is no cost at the point of use for currently enrolled UW Oshkosh students and employees.
Mission Statement: UWO Go provides van transportation to UW Oshkosh students to ensure safe travel to and from areas on and near the UW Oshkosh campus during evening and early morning hours. Our program functions to promote a safe environment for members of the UW Oshkosh community to live, work and study.
UW Oshkosh Police Department
in Partnership with Oshkosh Student Association
738 High Ave
Oshkosh, WI 54901
firstname.lastname@example.org (not monitored 24/7/365)
UWO Go Program Rules
- During high traffic times, dispatchers may refer riders to alternative modes of transportation
- UWO Go reserves the right to refuse rides in the case of inappropriate requests, or if the request is out of the scope of our mission
- UWO Go reserves the right to refuse or end a ride in the case of an intrusive use of profanity or disorderly behavior to include but not limited to harassing or threatening the driver, dispatcher or other community members
- Smoking & vaping or drinking alcohol beverages is not allowed at anytime during the ride
- Riders can only have one bag with them, per person, no larger than the size of a normal backpack
- One exception to this is for groceries – riders can have two bags of groceries on their ride
- A rolling suitcase is not acceptable
- A large laundry bag is not acceptable
- Medical Amnesty applies during this service
- A UWO Go ride cannot start and end at a bar (the start location or the end location has to be something other than a bar)
- Riders who damage the UWO Go vehicle will be assessed a $250.00 fee
- Vomiting in the vehicle
- Intentionally breaking something in the van (which could also be a violation of UWS Chapter 18 or Wisconsin Statutes)
- Blood or other bodily fluids, etc.
- UW Oshkosh riders who bring non-affiliated riders onto UWO Go are financially responsible for the damages that occur to the vehicle which includes anything related to bodily fluids.
UWO Go operates 7 days a week during the normal academic school year.
- Sunday & Monday we operate from 4:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m. (midnight)
- Tuesday – Saturday we operate from 4:00 p.m. – 2:30 a.m.
- We don’t operate during winter or summer breaks
- UW Oshkosh Police still offers Safewalks 7 days a week from 7:30 p.m. – 2:30 a.m.
- If operation is canceled this information will be posted on the UW Oshkosh Police Facebook page.
UWO Go doesn’t currently have an accessible riding option so we work with local companies to facilitate rides for students who need accommodations. Please call the UW Oshkosh Police Department at 920-424-1212 if you need accommodations for an accessible ride.
UWO Go Boundary Map
The UWO Go boundaries can be seen on this Google Map.
The pink markers on the map show locations where users will be able to select a pick-up location for UWO Go drivers. By selecting one of these pre-defined locations within the system it will be easier for drivers to connect with riders along some of the more difficult places to connect (around large buildings and along Main St).
Users are encouraged to use these areas when they’re requesting a ride from locations near where the markers are. Riders can request rides anywhere within the geofence area depicted on the map.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I'm eligible to use UWO GO?
Any student, staff or faculty member can use UWO Go as long as they can sign in with their netID. If you’re the friend of a student or employee they just need to sign in and request the ride. There just needs to be one person who is a current student or employee in the group.
How many people can a UWO GO van take?
This depends on the vehicle we’re using at the time however, generally we can take up to six passengers. We attempt to group calls together as much as possible to decrease the wait time for all passenger and improve the responsiveness of the service.
How do I cancel my ride request over the phone?
You can call us just like you did to get your ride.
Can I bring a guest with me who isn't a UW Oshkosh student?
Yes. Current students or employees can have guests however, the student or employee is responsible for the actions of the non-affiliated rider and must ensure that the rider knows the rules.
Can I bring a child as a guest?
This service is reserved for UW Oshkosh students and employees who need to get safely from one location to another. We don’t have access to or supply a car seat so, in most circumstances, the answer is no however, if your request is related to UW Oshkosh functions and if we can accommodate your request we’ll try.
Is UWO GO a cab service?
No, this service is funded by Oshkosh Student Association and run by the UW Oshkosh Police Department and their Community Service Officers.
Is UWO GO an emergency safety service?
No. If you’re experiencing and emergency situation or if you need an ambulance please dial 911.
How long does it take to get a ride?
This really depends on the night of the week and the volume of requests during the period of time you’re making a request. We’re also learning how this service will work at UW Oshkosh as this is the first year. We’ll do our best to get you rides as quickly as we can.
Can I bring my bags from a home trip on the ride?
Each guest is allowed to have one bag no larger than the size of a typical backpack with them during the ride. If you only have one bag, then we’ll give you a ride. Please plan ahead. If you’re in an outlying parking lot and you know you’re going to request a ride then drop your belongings off at your hall then go to where you park your car and then request a ride.
Can I reserve a ride for a future time?
No. We accept rides based on when they come into the queue.
How does UWO Go handle inclement weather?
Weather in Wisconsin in unpredictable and we try to work through all weather. As a general rule, if the University closes due to weather, UWO Go will usually be closed. University closings are announced through Titan Alert so watch for an email or a text telling you whether school is closed or not. In the event that UWO Go does decide to close we will post information on the UW Oshkosh Police Facebook page. If we decide to close early, we will do our best to inform callers as well.
As road or weather conditions change, students should be prepared for reduced levels of operation. This can include closing, closing early or limiting requests such as those from campus to home. This decision is made with input from University administrators and the UW Oshkosh Police Department. If transporting students becomes more dangerous due to weather, we would rather not jeopardize students safety.
Who runs the UWO Go program?
The program is funded by OSA (Oshkosh Student Association) but it’s managed by the UW Oshkosh Police Department and the Community Service Officers.
Does the UW Oshkosh Medical Safety Policy apply to the UWO Go program?
Yes. The goal of this program is to keep students and employees safe. Please read the info in this link to learn more about this program: https://uwosh.edu/police/medical-safety-policy/
Are pets allowed on the UWO Go vans?
No, unless mandated by the Americans with Disabilities Act