The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Policy # [####]
Common Course Scheduling Policy (GEN 4.B.7)
GEN 4.B.7. Common Course Scheduling Policy.
This policy on course scheduling is adopted by the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh to help ensure efficient use of space as mandated by State and System regulations, to meet the needs of students for sufficient scheduling options, and to help provide for differing space and time requirements of departments and colleges for their various course offerings.
(1) Three-Credit Lecture Courses.
(a) Daytime (8:00 a.m. until 5:10 p.m.) 3 credit lecture courses should use either a Monday/Wednesday/Friday or Tuesday/Thursday schedule or one of the Monday/Wednesday time blocks listed below.
(b) Approved time blocks:
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
9:10 a.m. – 10:10 a.m.
10:20 a.m. – 11:20 a.m.
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
12:40 p.m. – 1:40 p.m.
1:50 p.m. – 2:50 p.m.
3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
4:10 p.m. – 5:10 p.m.
8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
9:40 a.m. – 11:10 a.m.
11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
1:20 p.m. – 2:50 p.m.
3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
1:50 p.m. – 3:20 p.m.
3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
(2) The lecture portions of 4 and 5 credit courses should begin or end in accordance with the above time blocks.
(3) Studio, discussion and lab sections should begin or end in accordance with the above time blocks.
(4) Daytime Tuesday/Thursday 2 credit courses should begin or end in accordance with the above Tuesday/Thursday time blocks.
(5) All departments and colleges will make good faith efforts to schedule their courses across the days of the week and hours of the day so as to avoid a concentration of course offerings in only a few “prime” slots.
(6) Departments and colleges offering weekend and evening courses may determine the schedule according to programmatic and student needs.
(7) It is anticipated that there will be a very limited need for exceptions to this policy. When an exception is sought, the unit must provide a rationale to the Dean.
(8) The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Course Scheduling Policy should be reviewed at regular intervals, not to exceed two years.