GEN 3.B.3. Vacation.
All full time unclassified annual appointees shall have 22 working days (176 hours) per fiscal year for vacation. Annual appointees whose appointment is at least one-third time for a fiscal year will earn a proration of the 22 days of vacation per year. Annual appointees whose appointment is less than one-third time for a fiscal year will not earn vacation.
The following conditions apply to vacation usage.
(1) Immediate supervisor must approve all requests for vacation.
(2) Up to 22 unused vacation days earned in one fiscal year may be carried forward to be used the next fiscal year.
(3) Official records are kept in the Human Resources Office. Vacation used is recorded monthly on the Leave Statement by the employee, signed by the Dean/Director and forwarded to the Human Resources Office for recording. A monthly leave accounting statement is provided to the employee indicating vacation balances.
(4) Employees hired from other state agencies may transfer unused vacation to the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. Employees leaving the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh for employment with another state agency may transfer unused vacation if the details with the other state agency can be agreed upon.
(5) If an annual appointee is to leave the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh and the unused vacation cannot be transferred or if the employee retires or transfers to an academic appointment, the employee is encouraged to use all accrued vacation time before the annual appointment is terminated. If the vacation cannot be used prior to termination, payment of unused earned vacation will be made.
(6) An adjustment to the final pay check of terminating employees will be made for anyone using more vacation than has been accrued.
(7) Staff who have completed ten or more years of State of Wisconsin service as of June 30 in appointments earning vacation, or as unclassified university participants in the Wisconsin Retirement System, may, at their option, reserve up to five days of vacation (prorated for part-time employees) each fiscal year in an Annual Leave Reserve Account (ALRA). There is no maximum on the lifetime accumulation in an ALRA. Vacation accumulated in an Annual Leave Reserve Account may be used at any time subject to supervisor approval, or will be paid out at the time of resignation or retirement.
(8) Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited Appointees, with annual pay basis appointments, who have completed 25 years of service as of June 30 may “bank” up to 10 days of paid annual leave in ALRA. For staff whose appointment is less than full time, the 10 days will be prorated.
(9) The years of service eligibility is determined on June 30 of each year for eligibility to “bank” or elect a cash option in the following fiscal year. Years of service are defined as years of State of Wisconsin service earning vacation, or as unclassified university participants in the Wisconsin Retirement System.