The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Policy # [####]
Salary Equity for Professional Academic Staff (ACS 12.0 and ACS 12.2)
Original Issuance Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
Last Revision Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
Next Review Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
2. RESPONSIBLE OFFICER
6. POLICY STATEMENT
ACS 12.0. Introduction.
The Associate Vice Chancellor, the Human Resources Director, and the Director of Equity and Affirmative Action will annually undertake salary equity reviews following salary administration and may initiate a request for a salary change for any academic staff member with his/her consent. For instructional academic staff, salary equity review also can be requested either by the supervisor or by the academic staff member. The salary of an academic staff member may be increased outside the salary administration process without having the position title changed and the position placed in a higher salary grade. Based on the provisions of Unclassified Personnel Guideline No. 4, this type of adjustment will be made only in very exceptional circumstances in order to correct a special salary inequity. A salary equity review shall be based on the merits of each individual case. Recommendations and decisions related to a salary equity review should be based on equity issues. The fiscal position of the University is important in the consideration of salary equity cases but should not be the single determining factor.
ACS 12.2. Procedure Professional-Administrative Academic Staff
(1) Professional-administrative academic staff with full-time equivalency (FTE) of .5 or greater become eligible for salary equity every four years. The Office of Human Resources shall consult with the Office of Institutional Research to determine who is eligible in a given year. Individuals with a fixed-term terminal contract should not interpret a salary equity adjustment as an indication an additional contract is forthcoming.
(2) The Office of Human Resources shall notify eligible employees, their supervisor, Dean (where appropriate), and Vice Chancellor of the academic staff member’s eligibility.
(3) Eligible academic staff who wish to be considered for salary equity must submit a written request indicating the basis for salary equity review. Academic staff may include salary comparisons from the same salary grade within the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, UW System and market comparison data.
(4) The Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the Director of Equity and Affirmative Action and the Director of Human Resources will provide a recommendation and all materials used in developing the recommendation to the Vice Chancellor of the division. Copies of the recommendation will be provided to the employee’s line of reportage.
(5) The Vice Chancellor of each division shall develop a recommendation for each employee requesting equity in their division. Each Vice Chancellor shall consider recommendations from the line of reportage (including Deans) for each employee.
(6) The Vice Chancellors shall collectively consider each recommendation, make a decision as to the request and notify the employee and their supervisor of the decision.
(7) The Vice Chancellors shall notify the Office of Human Resources of each decision. The Office of Human Resources will complete processing equity adjustments.
(8) If the professional-administrative academic staff member disagrees with the decision of the Vice Chancellors, the academic staff member shall have ten calendar days to request in writing a review by the Chancellor. If no request for review is made, the decision of the Vice Chancellors is final.
(9) If a request for review is made, the Chancellor shall consider all supporting documentation and recommendations from each level of review and make a decision within 21 calendar days of receiving the request. The decision of the Chancellor is final. The Chancellor shall notify all concerned parties of his/her decision in writing.
9. REVISION HISTORY