Major in Psychology
The psychology department offers courses in all areas of the field to ensure program graduates are prepared for any challenges they may face. All required, perspective, and capstone courses are listed below. A “C” or better is needed in ALL courses for them to count towards the major
Required Courses | 12 credits
- Psychology 101, 102, 104 or 110 (General Psychology)
- Psychology 123 (Psychology Orientation)
- Psychology 203 (Elementary Psychological Statistics)
- Psychology 275 (Research Methods)
Perspective Courses | 12 credits
Choose four of the following courses:
- Psychology 303 or 302 (Psychology of Abnormal Behavior)
- Psychology 305 (Social Psychology)
- Psychology 380 (Cognitive Psychology)
- Psychology 383 (Biological Psychology)
- Psychology 391 (Developmental Psychology)
Capstone Course(s) | 3 credits
Choose one of the following courses:
- Psychology 464 (History of Psychology)
- Psychology 470 (Research in Psychology)
- Psychology 490 (Special Topics in Psychology)
Additional courses in psychology curriculum to earn a minimum of 36 credits.
If course catalog is pre Fall 2019, a minimum of 35 credits is required.
Additional Major Requirement
A “C” or better must be achieved in two laboratory science courses that meet the BA or BS laboratory science requirement.
- Psychology 203 and Psychology 275 can be taken concurrently, but students cannot take Psychology 275 without either prior or concurrent enrollment in Psychology 203.
- All 400-level courses have a prerequisite of 18 psychology credits.
- Students need 18 credits for Psychology 481; these 18 credits must include Psychology 302 or 303.
- The following Psychology courses require Psychology 275 to be included in the 18 credits: 411, 446, 451, 455, 456, 463, 464, 470, 473, 474, 480, & 490.
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Clow Faculty, Room F010