Graduate HCM Certificate
The Graduate Healthcare Management (HCM) Certificate offered by the Department of Public Administration at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh is designed for individuals who wish to enhance their skills as health care managers, supervisors, or leaders to function effectively and enhance their career potential in today’s complex healthcare environment.
- Credits: 15 (9 Required Credits | 6 Elective Credits)
- Delivery Format: Online
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission
- Time of Completion: As Few As Two Years
- Semester Offerings: Fall | Spring | Summer
- Units Involved in Delivery: COLS PA Department, COB MBA, and CON
- Student Population: In-career | Pre-Career
- Class Capacity: 10-20
Students will demonstrate broad-based knowledge of theory, research, and practice in health care management, policy, and administrative law directly applicable at professional levels in public, non-profit, and private healthcare organizations and other health-related institutions.
Students will demonstrate well-developed critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills in addressing contemporary problems or issues in health care management, policy and administrative law.
Students will demonstrate strong, positive interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with various health care stakeholders, including patients both individually and in group settings.
Who Pursues the HCM Certificate?
Healthcare professionals such as nurses, physicians, physician assistants, therapists, laboratory technicians, social workers new to management or supervisory roles.
Non-clinical professionals such as administrative staff in healthcare settings, including hospitals, nursing homes, physicians’ offices, public health departments, HMOs, home healthcare institutions, and ambulatory healthcare institutions, who want to enhance current management or supervisory skills.
Non-healthcare professionals such as administrative staff in other fields, including insurance companies, government, human service agencies, pharmaceutical and medical supply companies, who need skills to interact better with health providers, or to transition into the healthcare industry.
Students currently completing a master’s program in nursing, medicine, therapy, pharmacy, public administration or business administration.
HCM Certificate Key Features
- Career-oriented curriculum and innovative pedagogies that build critical healthcare management competences and skills.
- Increased choice of elective healthcare management courses that addresses professionals’ diverse needs.
- Online courses, offered during fall, spring, summer, and interim semesters that allow for fast-track certificate completion (one to four years).
- Transferable credits that create opportunities for graduate degrees (e.g., MPA, MBA).
- Small class sizes that emphasize students’ learning experiences and networking.
The UW Oshkosh Department of Public Administration, College of Business, and College of Nursing partner in the delivery of the Graduate HCM Certificate. Full-time faculty with strong academic achievements and experiences in the healthcare field deliver informative and practical coursework.