ACAD 100 Developmental Reading Skills | 2 transcript credits
- 14 weeks.
- In-person classes
- An academic reading and vocabulary development course designed to help students establish a solid foundation for collegiate academic success.
- Emphasis on strengthening comprehension, reading strategically for varying purposes, and applying learned strategies to actual coursework.
- Pre-and post-testing reveals an average gain in reading ability of over three grade levels for students who complete this course.
ACAD 115 Strategies for Academic Recovery | 2 credits
- Class meets for 14 weeks
- 2x per week
- Intended for students with GPAs below 2.25 to success
- Assists students in identifying and overcoming personal barriers
- Topics include self-management, personal responsibility, motivation, growth mindset metacognition and learning strategies
- Collaboration with other campus resources is an integral component of the course
- Students meet individually with the instructor at least 2x per semester
ACAD 125 Learning Strategies For College Success | 1 credit
- Fall and Spring Semesters 7 weeks in-person or online asynchronous
- 8 week Summer Session online asynchronous only
- Open to students of all GPAs, first-years through seniors, who want to develop more sophisticated study strategies.
- Close to 700 students enroll annually, including students in highly selective majors, such as Nursing.
- Students will learn and apply self-regulatory strategies for time management, memory, note taking, academic reading, test preparation, and test taking.
- Peer academic coaches are available for individual study strategy assistance.
ACAD 169 College Reading Strategies | 1 credit
- 7 weeks.
- Open to any student (first-year through senior) who wants to develop more sophisticated reading techniques.
- Read actively, using a critical-thinking, problem-solving approach to academic texts.
- Apply appropriate strategies to maximize reading comprehension and retention of material.
- Self-monitor the effectiveness of comprehension strategies applied and adjust those as needed.
- Apply strategies for approaching new content-specific vocabulary to learn and retain vocabulary words.
ACAD 176 Topics IN College Reading: Strategies for Reading In A New Language | 2 credits
- 14 weeks
- In-person classes
- Comprehend academic texts, news articles, and essays
- Become confident independent self-monitoring
- Utilize a variety of reading strategies and view
reading as a comprehensive process
- Manage complex academic readings across
disciplines and apply critical reading strategies
to construct meaning from text
ACAD 176 Topics In College Reading: Reading Strategies For Pre-Nursing | 1 credit
- 7 weeks
- Online asynchronous classes
- Read actively, using a critical-thinking, problem-solving
approach to academic texts
- Demonstrate use of various reading strategies to meet
the reading demands of Pre-Nursing and Nursing
- Apply appropriate strategies to maximize reading
comprehension and retention of material
- Self-monitor the effectiveness of comprehension
strategies applied and adjust those as needed