ACAD 100 Developmental Reading Skills | 2 transcript credits
- 14 weeks.
- An academic reading and vocabulary development course designed to help students establish a solid foundation for collegiate academic success.
- Emphasis on strengthening comprehension, reading strategically for varying purposes, and applying learned strategies to actual coursework.
- Pre-and post-testing reveals an average gain in reading ability of over three grade levels for students who complete this course.
Sample Syllabus for ACAD 100
ACAD 115 Strategies for Academic Recovery | 2 credits
- Class meets for 14 weeks
- 2x per week
- Intended for students with GPAs below 2.25 to success
- Assists students in identifying and overcoming personal barriers
- Topics include self-management, personal responsibility, motivation, growth mindset metacognition and learning strategies
- Collaboration with other campus resources is an integral component of the course
- Students meet individually with the instructor at least 2x per semester
ACAD 125 Comprehensive Study Skills | 1 credit
- 7 weeks; also 3-week interim.
- Open to students of all GPAs, first-years through seniors, who want to develop more sophisticated study strategies.
- Close to 700 students enroll annually, including students in highly selective majors, such as Nursing.
- Students will learn and apply strategies for time management, memory, note taking, academic reading, test preparation, and test taking.
- Every student gets a weekly individual session with a peer mentor or instructor that replaces a class session.
Sample Syllabus for ACAD 125
ACAD 135 Applied Study Skills paired with content course | 2 credits
A documented HIGH IMPACT PRACTICE for student success
- 14 weeks.
- Must be co-enrolled in content course.
- Topics are the same as for the 1-credit Study Skills course—time management, memory, note taking, academic reading, test preparation, and test taking–but with extended modeling and practice with the content course content.
- Each section functions as a small learning community, with the instructor attending the content course along with the students.
- The potential to raise one’s GPA with this 5-cr. package is strong. On average, students who complete the course earn a grade higher in content course than do their non-enrolled peers.
Sample Syllabus for ACAD 135
ACAD 169 College Reading Strategies | 1 credit
- 7 weeks.
- Open to any student (first-year through senior) who wants to develop more sophisticated reading techniques.
- Develop improved reading strategies by understanding the reading process.
- Discover how to pre-read, and to skim text quickly and successfully.
- Strengthen ability to identify and mark ideas in textbooks and other academic reading.
- Increase reading speed and comprehension.
- Includes an online lab component to practice comprehension skills.
Sample Syllabus for ACAD 169
ACAD 175 Topics in Study Strategies | 1-2 credits
- 7 weeks or 14 weeks