Student Recreation and Wellness staff have been busy planning for a safe return to the gym for its users. We are fully committed to the health, well-being and safety of all students that choose to work out with us. This commitment is reflected by the many updates and modifications the staff has planned in preparation of reopening the facility and programs. Although state orders and local public health expectations may change with the circumstances, the dedication and commitment of Student Recreation and Wellness does not waver.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please do not hesitate to email us at email@example.com. More updates can be found on our social media accounts (Facebook / Instagram). To see how the University is responding to COVID-19, visit the Titans Return website.
- Mask Requirements
- Facility Access
- Facility Policies
- What is available and not available (updated 6/22/21)
- Rec Plex Access
- Albee Pool Access
As of August 10th, face coverings are required for all participants at all times in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Non-compliance may result in a 2-week suspension from all Student Rec and Wellness facilities, programs, and services.
These actions are in accordance with directives from the Emergency Operations Committee and the UWO Titans Return Plan. Sanctions will be communicated by the Dean of Students Office. Repeat offenders of this policy may face additional sanctions
Tips on Proper Wear of a Face Covering During Exercise:
Exercise professionals can share the following tips with their clients (adapted from Boone, 2020; CDC, 2020; Sweeney, 2020)
- Make sure your mask is big enough to cover your nose and face for proper protection.
- The mask should feel comfortable and snug around your cheeks and nose. Try not to fidget with the mask while you are working out.
- If the mask restricts your breathing prior to exercise, it will not be good to wear during exercise.
- Wash your hands PRIOR to putting on your mask. Soap and water are fine or use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Make sure you do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth when removing your mask. Wash your hands AFTER taking off your mask.
- It is best to remove your mask by the ear loops because the front of the mask is where germs will collect.
- A great advantage of a cloth mask is that it can be washed. Exercise enthusiasts who exercise regularly are encouraged to have a few masks so there is a clean, dry mask ready for each workout. Any laundry detergent will be fine for washing cloth face masks.
- When you talk, keep your mask over your nose and mouth. Do not pull it down as this defeats the purpose of blocking respiratory droplets from being released in the air.
- If you tend to sweat a lot when you workout (indoors or outdoors), perhaps bring a second mask with you and replace when it becomes damp. It is best to replace a damp mask (from workout sweat or outdoor humidity).
- For people who wear glasses, sometimes they fog up if too much air is released near the nose of the face mask. Readjust the mask to be snug over the nose. Furthermore, it has been shown that washing glasses with soapy water, without rinsing, and letting them dry prior to wearing a face mask reduces fogging. Also, folding a tissue and placing underneath your glasses may absorb any escaping moisture from your breath.
We are asking that students please limit their workouts.
Face coverings are required for all participants at all times in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Non-compliance may result in a 2-week suspension from all Student Rec and Wellness facilities, programs, and services.
All patrons and staff are asked to self-screen for symptoms of COVID-19 and not enter the facility if they are feeling unwell, have known exposure in the last 14 days to someone with COVID-19, or are experiencing any symptoms as defined by the Wisconsin Department of Health (WDH):
- In the last 14 days, have you been diagnosed with the Novel Coronavirus/COVID-19?
- Have you had a temperature reading of 100.0° Fahrenheit or higher or felt feverish?
- Have you lived with or been within 6 feet of someone for 10 consecutive minutes who has been diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Have you lived with or been within 6 feet of someone for 10 consecutive minutes who is quarantined or isolated due to suspicion of COVID-19?
- Have you experienced any of these symptoms within the last 7 days?
- Fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, headache, muscle pain, sore throat, fatigue, congestion, or loss of taste or smell. Other less common symptoms include gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
If ‘Yes’ to any questions above, experienced any of the listed symptoms or have a temperature reading of 100.4° or higher, you should remain at home. If you are screening at the facility, exit the space with your face covering in place.
Code of Conduct:
- On Entry
- Hand Sanitizing
- Screening Questionnaire
- Scan ID card
- Beyond Check-In (*by accessing the facility you are agreeing to the Code of Conduct and policies in place)
- All users must clean equipment they touch before and after each use
- Members should remain in their workout stations to cool down and only leave that station when they feel safe and comfortable.
- Be courteous and limit your workouts
- Members are highly encouraged to follow CDC and University guidelines outside of the facility to mitigate risk of transmission
- Members must not leave any personal belongings or clothing at the SRWC
- Programs (Massage Therapy until further notice)
- All free weights, cables, benches, selectorized machines, plate loaded machines and cardio pieces are available and physically distanced
- Pick up sports
- Welcome Desk Equipment Rentals
- Seating Area (Media Center)
- Mats and Foam Rollers
- Showers and Locker Rooms
- Water Bottle Filling Stations
- Stability Balls
- Outdoor Adventure Center Rentals (kayaks, bikes, hammocks, rollerblades)
Participants must check in at the Rec Plex Welcome Desk with their Titan ID or the UWO Student Recreation App. Face coverings are required for ALL participants at all times in the Rec Plex Building and Dome area. Non-compliance may result in a 2-week suspension from all Student Rec and Wellness facilities, programs, and services.
Vaccinated participants should complete a vaccination report form.
Participants will need to check in to the pool with your Titan ID or using the UWO Student Rec App. Face coverings are required for All participants at all times on the pool deck. Non-compliance may result in a 2-week suspension from all Student Rec and Wellness facilities, programs, and services.
Vaccinated participants should complete a vaccination report form.