University Dining and Aladdin are committed to the nutritional well-being of student and staff of UW Oshkosh. Food choices and diet habits are an important part of our daily lives are crucial for the health and well-being of all individuals. Out responsibility is to provide nutritionally balanced food choices, along with accurate information and resources so that each individual can make the best dietary decisions for themselves on a daily basis.
Meet the Dietitian
Carese Walczyk, RDN, CD
Carese is passionate about looking at the whole picture and helping students find how nutrition fits best in their life, whatever that may look like!
She is here to support you in all your nutrition or wellness-related goals! Some of her services offered include:
- One-on-one nutrition counseling
- Sports performance consultations
- Allergen and specialty diet support
- BeWell nutrition education programs
- Wellness presentations
- Healthy recipe sampling
Carese works closely with our Accessibility Center, University Dining and campus chefs to assist with menu planning and allergen, specialty diet management. She also oversees the stocking and management of our Allergen Friendly Room in Blackhawk Commons.
Have questions or want to set an appointment to talk with Carese? Email email@example.com.
Allergen Friendly Room
The Allergen Friendly Room is a designated, secured room located inside Blackhawk Commons that students with food allergies and specialty diets may utilize. The room is secured to ensure the safety of the students utilizing it and minimizes the chance of misuse or cross contamination. Students will need to register with the dietitian as well as the Accessibility Center to ensure they meet requirements for access.
- At this time, we ask for medical documentation to demonstrate need. This documentation will be kept on file with the Accessibility Center.
- Once access is approved, students will be given a tour of the Allergy Friendly Room and an agreement of use will be signed and kept on file with the dietitian.
- Approved students will be able to access the room using their TitanCard and will be able to use the room any time that Blackhawk Commons is open.
In addition to the Allergy Friendly Room, we also have designated purple preparation areas in Blackhawk Commons (Oodles, The Slice and Titan Grill). With these areas, students are able to order made-to-order sandwiches, wraps, grill items and pasta dishes. Students will just need to alert staff that they have a food allergy so that proper precautions can be taken.
Alternatives Across Campus
There are many other alternative options across campus. Some of these include:
- vegan/vegetarian area in Blackhawk Commons
- gluten-free, vegan/vegetarian options in Scotty’s Market, Reeve Marketplace and Fresh on the Fox
- made-to-order or customizable meals at many dining locations
E2E is our new online menu system, which displays menu information for Blackhawk Commons, Reeve Marketplace, Blackhawk Xpress and Fresh on the Fox, as well as both Fond du Lac and Fox Cities campuses. Here students can access detailed nutrition and allergen information for menu items. Allergen and caloric information is also displayed on digital boards in Blackhawk Commons for student’s convenience. If a student has a severe allergy, it is always recommended that they speak with a staff member to ensure food item is safe.
BeWell is a program created by Aladdin Food and Services Management to make it easier for you to choose well. First, our BeWell eating approach combines the latest in nutrition science and culinary trends to create a crave-worthy, nutritious menu choice. Second, our BeWell wellness approach encourages positive behavior change through our promotions, wellness education programs, and partnerships. Learn more on the Aladdin website.