SUPERVISOR: Please read the UW Oshkosh SIS Access and Compliance Statement to understand your responsibility. Your employee will be given a copy of this for to sign at the orientation.
UW Oshkosh SIS Access and Compliance Statement
PURPOSE: By submitting this form and requesting accounts to the SIS for student employees, you certify that as their supervisor, you will instruct these employees regarding the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and state and university regulations and policies that apply to the proper use of educational record data and related security measures.The security measures serve four general purposes:
- To secure critical data from accidental or intentional abuse.
- To protect the privacy of the University’s students with respect to their electronic academic records and SIS data.
- To provide access to enable an authorized University official/employee to perform the general and specific job duties outlined in his/her position description.
- To maintain satisfactory computing system operation for the benefit of all users.
RESPONSIBILITY: As their employer, you will be aware and make certain that student employees using these accounts realize that the granting of access to SIS carries with it implicit responsibilities that:
- They will store under secure conditions all data that they obtain from on-line panels, data warehouse or extracted datasets, including printed data as well as on-line transmission of data (email, fax, etc.).
- They will be a responsible user of data, whether it is data relating to their work unit or another unit. This is especially important given the shared environment of SIS.
- They will make every reasonable effort to interpret data accurately and in a professional manner.
- They will log off SIS when not using it.
- They will not share their password(s) or others’ passwords or attempt to know others’ passwords.
- They will access only that information they need to perform their job at the University. This means no casual browsing of data.
- They will make every reasonable effort to maintain privacy of the data. This includes knowing what constitutes personally identifiable and confidential information, and what constitutes “directory” or public information and observing the student’s right to withhold this information.
- Whenever personally identifiable student information is requested, if you(as the supervisor) or the student employee is not certain of the requestor’s “legitimate educational right and need to know” or the student’s desire to withhold information, you or the student employee will refer that request to the Registrar’s Office (Dempsey 130) or Student Affairs (Dempsey 148). Examples: a student’s advisor requesting the student’s GPA has a legitimate educational right and need to know; the chairperson of a social club to which the student belongs and who makes the same request does not have a legitimate educational right and need to know.
Dempsey Hall, Room 130
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Monday–Friday, 7:45 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901-8608