Why did you choose sociology as your major?

I switched my major to Sociology my sophomore year after taking Soc 101 and it really peaked my interest. I’ve always been interested in the functions of society and why things are the way the way that they are. After taking my Race and Ethnicity class with the wonderful Dr. Son, I immediately fell in love with the major. Learning about the conscious and the unconscious of society has definitely changed my view of the world.

What are some of the key things that you got out of the major?

One of the most important things I have learned with this major is the infamous ‘Sociological Imagination’. After learning about this and the concept of having an open-mind, I think on a more broader spectrum. Another important key thing I’ve learned is how to research. Before taking the Social Research class with Dr. Bohr, I’ve never even thought of conducting a research study. Now, with the proper techniques, I was able to conduct my own independent study and present it with the Celebration of Scholarship.

What did you do following graduation from UWO?

Now, after graduating UWO, I live in Birmingham, AL and currently work at the University of Alabama Birmingham Hospital as a Patient Encounter Specialist. I plan on attending University of Alabama in Birmingham for my Masters’ in Animal Science with the hopes of working alongside a veterinarian to study animal behavior.

What advice do you have for current students? 

My advice for students in this major is to have fun and have an open mind. The issues that are discussed in this major is and always will be prevalent in this society that we live in. If you want to follow the “ignorance is bliss” mantra then this major is not for you. Paul Van Auken, Dr. Son, Dr. Bohr, Dr. Orlee, and Ms. Amy are amazing and willing to help you every step of the way. Remember to always have fun!