Why did you choose to study Sociology? 

I chose to study Sociology simply because I found the subject matter incredibly interesting. I was an undeclared major for the first two and a half years of my college experience. Not knowing what major to declare, I took the advice I heard the most often, which was to choose the major that was most interesting and the rest would work itself out. And it did. 

Prior to receiving my undergraduate degree, I attended a panel of speakers who were Sociology alumni of UWO. The panel consisted of a variety of folks who ventured off into many different career paths. As you can imagine, I struggled yet again with how I would put my major to work. One of the speakers suggested the AmeriCorps NCCC program for those who were not sure what to do next. I took the advice and it led me down a road I never would have imagined for myself! I spent two years with the AmeriCorps program, traveling with a team of diverse young adults working with various nonprofits across the country.

What are some key things you got out of the major? 

My Sociology degree allowed me to be open-minded, cognizant and appreciative of the varying cultures, ideas and perspectives I witnessed during my travels. The experience ultimately led to my career working for the same program, but in an administrator role., working mostly in a human resources capacity.

What did you following graduation? 

My husband and I eventually moved back to Wisconsin after a few years and I landed a job at UWO as a Human Resources Assistant.

What are you up to now? 

Five years later, I obtained my masters degree in public administration and been promoted to Deputy Director of Human Resources. I find that my Sociology degree is useful in an everyday capacity in my current job. I once felt uncertain that this degree was the best decision since it didn’t land me the “perfect job” right out of college. However, in retrospect, it was the best decision for me and I have no regrets.

Any advice for current students? 

My advice would be to follow your instincts and choose to follow a path that both interests and challenges you!