International Research Collaborations
Adapted with permission from the University of Wisconsin-Madison
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh values the contributions of collaborations with scholars from around the world. The diverse scholarly community and the openness of the scholarly enterprise has enabled discoveries and solutions to problems to create a better nation and world. The university is committed to scholarly collaboration and openness, and also acknowledges the importance of working with integrity and being transparent about foreign relationships and activities.
Foreign Collaborations and Activities
Foreign components may include:
- Research at a foreign site or use of facilities and equipment at a foreign site
- Foreign travel for the purpose of data collection, surveying, sampling
- Activities that may have an impact on U.S. foreign policy through involvement in the affairs or environment of a foreign country
- Research collaborations with investigators at a foreign site anticipated to result in co-authorship
- Receipt of financial support or resources from a foreign entity in connection with performance that occurs at a foreign site
Disclosure of International Collaborations and Activities
Foreign relationships and activities are being paid increased scrutiny. The campus community should be aware that disclosures of relationships and activities are receiving national attention and impacting institutions of higher education around the country. Members of Congress and several federal sponsors have expressed significant concerns about perceived undue influence on the US research enterprise and take this issue very seriously. Researchers are advised to disclose any and all activities that involve a foreign entity.
- Foreign relationships and activities must be reported in the UW System Outside Activities Report in order to ensure that any potential conflicts of interest are identified and appropriately managed.
- Individuals applying for or receiving federal funding must disclose these relationships and activities in the Financial Conflict of Interest Disclosure at the time of applying for funding, annually, and ad hoc if changes occur.
- Reporting of foreign gifts and contracts should follow Office of Finance and Administration procedures.