Student Affairs Office
800 Algoma Blvd.
Dempsey Hall 148
Roger E. Guiles Leadership/Scholarship Award
Download the 2023 Roger E. Guiles Leadership-Scholarship Award Nomination Form or pick it up in the Office of Student Affairs, Dempsey 148.
This award was established by former chancellor Roger E. Guiles. Students must be nominated for this award. Nominator must complete the form and submit with required materials to the Office of Student Affairs by the deadline.
- The recipient shall be a student leader who most notably represents a reflection of the ideals of the University
- Has good scholarship habits as reflected in GPA.
- Recipient must be a second semester sophomore (based on number of semesters enrolled, not number of credits earned) and must be enrolled at the Oshkosh campus.
- The recipient must have shown the ability to work within the system and must have shown leadership in encouraging other students to become positively involved.
- Need is not a crucial criterion for this award.
- Athletic participation shall not be considered.
Self-nominations are not accepted.
The award consists of a scholarship of approximately $725 to be applied as a credit against the recipient’s fall semester tuition in 2023.
Nominations may be made by students, faculty, or staff of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.
DEADLINE: The nomination form and all supporting documentation must be received in the Office of Student Affairs via email: UWOStudentAffairs@uwosh.edu or delivered to Dempsey Hall 148, no later than 4:00p.m. on Wednesday, February 8, 2023.
Talk to someone today and ask them to nominate you!
Chancellor’s Award for Excellence
The Chancellor’s Award for Excellence is a non-monetary award intended to recognize a senior student who:
- Possesses high academic and leadership qualities.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the ideals of excellence and service to others.
- Has an anticipated graduate date between May of 2023 and December of 2023.
Awarded student(s) will receive a certificate and medallion during the Celebration of Student Leadership event in May.
The criteria for this award include:
- Must be an undergraduate enrolled at the Oshkosh Campus.
- Planning to graduate in Spring 2023, Summer 2023 or Fall 2023.
- Have at least 84 credits completed at the time of application, of which the last 30 must have been earned at UW Oshkosh.
- Evidence of achievement in academic performance, with a minimum 3.0 UWO GPA at time of nomination.
- University-related activities and Community involvement (excluding athletic participation).
Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to nominate senior students for this recognition. Self-nominations will not be accepted. The student must be nominated.
How to nominate a student:
- Talk to the student you would like to nominate.
- The student needs to go into Academic Works and fill in their information for the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence.
- The student should list you as the nominator. They will also need to list two additional faculty members to provide a reference letter.
- The nominator and references will receive an email from Academic Works asking them to upload their nomination/reference letter.
NOTE: The deadline to complete application and references is Sunday, February 5th, 2023.
Dr. John T. Taylor Award
Qualified students will apply on Academic Works (https://uwosh.academicworks.com/)
- Applicant must be a full- or part-time undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at the Oshkosh campus.
- Applicant must demonstrate academic excellence and good character.
- Applicant must demonstrate a commitment to the University through significant involvement or leadership in activities that benefit the student body. Examples may include creating/founding a new student organization or program; providing sustained commitment and guidance to a major/key organization by serving in a position of authority and responsibility; leading initiatives that make a significant impact on an organization or the student body at large.
- Financial need is not a consideration.
- Supplemental Questions
- Please submit a statement describing how you’ve demonstrated a commitment to the University through significant involvement or leadership in activities that benefit the student body. Examples may include creating/founding a new student organization or program; providing sustained commitment and guidance to a major/key organization by serving in a position of authority and responsibility; leading initiatives that make a significant impact on an organization or the student body at large.
- Please provide the name and email of a UWO faculty or staff member who has agreed to serve as a reference to support your application. Your reference must comment on your character and your involvement and leadership in campus activities that have benefitted the student body.
This $750 award will be paid out in Fall 2023.
Application Deadline is Sunday, November 6, 2022