The Advance-Titan, the independent student newspaper covering the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh campuses, earned 17 awards in the 2022 Collegiate Better Newspaper Contest Friday at the Wisconsin Newspaper Association Convention.
Current editor-in-chief and former managing editor and news editor Katie Pulvermacher, a senior advertising and multimedia journalism major from Hartford, received first place in breaking news reporting, first place in feature writing and a third place and honorable mention in page design.
Additional awards included:
- The Advance-Titan website took first place among all the colleges entered. The web editor is Cassidy Johnson, a sophomore communications studies major from Green Bay.
- News editor Anya Kelley, a sophomore multimedia journalism major from Appleton, took first place in freedom of information award.
- The Advance-Titan staff swept the editorial writing category, taking first, second and third. Former opinion editor and current managing editor Kelly Hueckman, a junior multimedia journalism major from Prentice, received a first and third place, while former editor-in-chief Cory Sparks, senior radio TV film major from Pleasant Prairie, took second.
- Hueckman received second-place honors in arts and entertainment for a musical review.
- Sparks took first place in page design.
- Former editor-in-chief and 2022 graduate Owen Peterson, who is now a copy writer at Schneider in Green Bay, received a second place in column writing. He also received a third place in multimedia use.
- In the infographic category, reporter Liam Beran, a sophomore English major from Neenah, took second place for an election graphic. Graphic artist Josh Fannin, a senior graphic design major from Oshkosh, took third.
- Ad manager Luke Bussey, a first-year advertising major from Chicago, took second place honors in the advertisement category.
- Photographer Morgan Feltz, a first-year multimedia journalism from Neenah, took third place in photography.
The A-T staff are located in Room 19 of Reeve Memorial Union. They can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The faculty adviser is Barb Benish.