The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Titan football team will honor veterans as it kicks off Veterans Week activities in a match-up Saturday with UW-Eau Claire.
Veterans Week is sponsored by the Veterans Resource Center and includes extensive programing to celebrate veterans in the Titan and Oshkosh communities.
“This is an important week at UW Oshkosh because it’s a way for campus to recognize and honor those who have served in our Armed Forces,” Veterans Resource Coordinator Timber Smith said.
The Veterans Appreciation football game will take place at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 4 at Titan Stadium. This year’s Veteran of the Game, UW Oshkosh alumnus, Kevin O’Brien, ’81, of Sheboygan, will be recognized for his outstanding service in the Air Force and Navy. All veterans will receive free admission to the game, a free T-shirt and tailgate food and refreshments, sponsored by Erik Hosking’s State Farm insurance.
• The Veterans Resource Center will host an open house on Monday, Nov. 6 for anyone interested in learning more about its services and role on campus. Free American flags will be given out to anyone who stops by.
• A Student and Alumni Veteran panel will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 7 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Reeve 306. The panel will be comprised of current undergrad and graduate student veterans and moderated by the current Student Veterans Association president, Aaron Kloss.
• Wednesday, Nov. 8 is Veterans Appreciation Day on campus. Free massages will be offered to those who have served between 11:45 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. in the Veterans Resource Center lounge. Anyone interested also will be able to create a commemorative dog tag to honor someone who has served in the military. The dog tags will be part of a future military memorial.
• In an effort to shed light on the statistic that 22 veterans commit suicide every day, UW Oshkosh will host a March for the 22 on Thursday, Nov. 9. This event is a 2.2-mile walk around campus that will begin at 5:30 p.m. at the courtyard in front of Polk Library, where a sign-in will be located. Event T-shirts are available for purchase at the Veterans Resource Center.
• Veterans Week at UW Oshkosh will come to a close on Friday, Nov. 10 with a Veterans Appreciation Lunch at the Veterans Resource Center.
Throughout the week, the Veterans Resource Center also will host a “penny war” to help raise money for the future dog tag military memorial. Jars for the penny war will be stationed in the Veterans Resource Center.