- This event has passed.
Discover Firefighting Advanced Academy
July 14 - July 18
Join us for one of our outstanding firefighting programs for high school students. Get hands-on experiences by performing tasks and training exercises alongside local firefighters and emergency medical technicians.
Participants will gain knowledge about careers in fire and emergency response services; develop leadership skills, problem-solving and team-building skills. Lodging and meals will take place on the UW Oshkosh campus, and off-campus field exercises will occur at area fire stations and training facilities.
The advanced academy is open to high school students who have previously participated in the Discover Firefighting Academy. It is also open to students who serve or have served as a fire department intern, as well as students who belong to a fire science explorer program (with adviser/chief’s signature). This academy presents students with advanced training, knowledge and challenges associated with fire and emergency medical services.
The Advanced Firefighting Academy includes:
– Advanced emergency medical service preparation
– Career planning, preparation and networking with fire department personnel
– Advanced field activities in handling ladders, hoses and fire extinguishers, self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), personal protective equipment (PPE) and search and rescue techniques
– Modified physical agility test including aerial ladder-climbing and hose-dragging
– Simulation experiences such as a car fire and live tower burns
– Tactics exercises
– Tours of local fire departments and fire-related manufacturing companies