- This event has passed.
Discover Firefighting Basic Academy
June 23 - June 27
Join us for one of our outstanding firefighting programs for high school students. Get hands-on experiences by performing tasks and training exercises alongside local firefighters and emergency medical technicians.
Participants will gain knowledge about careers in fire and emergency response services; and develop leadership skills, problem-solving and team-building skills. Lodging and meals will take place on the UW Oshkosh campus, and off-campus field exercises will occur at area fire stations and training facilities.
Get an introduction in the training, tasks, skills and education needed for today’s firefighting workforce. Students work in teams consisting of engine companies, battalions, ladder companies and rescue units throughout the program. All activities are taught by professional firefighters, providing abundant opportunities for students to network and connect with fire and Emergency Medical Service (EMS) professionals.
The Basic Firefighting Academy includes:
– Introduction to fire and emergency medical services
– Career planning, preparation and networking with fire department personnel
– Field activities, such as how to handle ladders, hoses and fire extinguishers
– Mentorship and hands-on activities provided by professional firefighters
– Opportunities for teamwork, problem-solving and leadership development
– Self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and personal protective equipment (PPE)
– Tours of local fire departments and fire-related manufacturing companies
– CPR Certification