Congratulations on your admission to UW-Fox Valley! Take a moment to celebrate and be proud of yourself — all of your hard work has paid off. Please review the following information so you know what comes next in the admission process.
Step 1: Sign up for UW System Placement Testing
Placement tests must be completed at least two weeks prior to your Advising & Registration date, and you have several options for where you take your tests. For more information see the Placement Testing section below.
Step 2: Sign up for Advising & Registration
Advising & Registration highlights the most important information for new students, and connects students with Advisors to register for classes. For more information see the Advising & Registration section below.
Placement tests are required of all new, incoming students who have not yet completed college-level English, mathematics or world language coursework. Transfer students may not be required to take the tests if they have completed college-level, transferable coursework that provides an indication of the level of mathematics, writing or world language already successfully completed.
Placement tests are designed to help determine which English, math and world language courses students will find appropriately challenging as they begin at the university. All University of Wisconsin System students, regardless of major, are required to acquire specific proficiencies in mathematics and writing to earn an associate or a bachelor’s degree.
World language testing is an opportunity to earn retroactive credits for work done in high school and only required if you plan to take upper level courses and have at least two or more years of previous experience in Spanish, French or German. Please consult your transfer campus for Foreign Language requirements, as some may have admission or graduation requirements.
The placement tests are specific to the UW System; tests from other colleges and universities outside the UW System do not replace these placement tests.
Placement Test Options
- Regional Placement Testing: Regional testing is offered in the spring on selected weekends. Test dates are available via the UW Placement Test Site. Plan to take your placement tests at least two weeks prior to your Advising & Registration date or before meeting with your advisor (transfer students). This permits the return of the results and scoring that will be used to help select the appropriate classes when you register.
Weekday Group Placement Testing: Residual placement testing is offered on-campus for students unable to attend the Regional Placement Testing dates in the spring. These tests are offered on campus, select weekdays, exclusively for UW-Fox Valley Students. Individual appointments are available for students with accommodations. Register online for the weekday group placement testing!
UW Oshkosh Testing Center: Students also have the option of taking residual placement tests on the UW Oshkosh Campus. This testing does not require pre-registration or an appointment and can be taken throughout the year on a walk-in basis when Testing Services is open. Testing Services is located in the lower level of the Polk Library Room 2. Freshmen students taking a Residual Placement Test may be assessed additional testing fees. For more information call UW Oshkosh Testing Services (920) 424-1432.
- ID Requirements: Photo ID is Required
- Estimated Length of Test:
Note: Add 10 minutes for completion of answer sheet and check-in prior to testing.
- English – 90 Minutes
- Math – 90 Minutes
- World Language – 60 Minutes
- Special Information: Students are allowed to use a non-graphing calculator on the Math Placement Test. The use of cell phones or smart devices is prohibited.
- Cost of Placement Tests: A flat fee of $30 for Placement Testing is assessed to each new student. This will appear on the student’s bill in the Fall semester.
- Special Testing Accommodations: Documentation is needed. If you are doing Regional Placement Testing, see the Placement Testing homepage link above. If you are doing Weekday Group Placement Testing, provide accommodation information when registering or contact the Student Affairs Solution Center.
- Study Guides/Practice Tests: Sample Questions can be found at this link
Advising and Registration
Congratulations on your admission to UW-Fox Valley! Advising & Registration will help you begin navigating life as a student, and help set you up for success! Advising & Registration sessions are for new students who have completed their placement tests. This event is an opportunity to better understand your placement test results and work with an Academic Advisor and register for your classes.
Registration & Enrollment Policies
New Student Orientation
Welcome to the UW-Fox Valley Community! New Student Orientation is the first step in ensuring your smooth transition onto campus. All new students are required to attend and will receive an email with the date, time and registration details.
At Orientation You Will:
- Learn about campus resources and student life opportunities (clubs, organizations, athletics and more!)
- Meet with academic advisors
- Prepare for a new semester by finding classrooms & picking up textbooks
- Build relationships with fellow new students, returning students, faculty and staff
The campus community celebrates the start of a new academic year by welcoming new and returning students back with a week of fun and entertaining activities. Events are free and open to students, faculty and staff. Welcome Week is your first opportunity to get acclimated to college by discovering opportunities to connect, learn, laugh, reflect, and grow through social and academic programs.
Additional information regarding times and locations of events will be posted as we draw nearer to the start of the fall semester.