Here at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, we took the American College Health Association’s Healthy Campus Pledge to demonstrate our commitment to achieving Healthy Campus goals and objectives. Healthy Campus 2020 is a companion framework to Healthy People 2020, the federal government’s health promotion and disease prevention initiative for achieving better health across the United States. Strategies extend beyond traditional interventions of education, diagnosis, treatment, and health care at clinical levels and involve embedding health into all aspects of campus culture, across the administration, operations, and academics.
Based on significance, relevance, campus resources, and student needs (assessed via the National College Health Assessment), the UWO committee identified three major areas of health and wellness to address.
The current focus areas of our healthy campus goals include:
- Movement and Nutrition
- Harm Reduction
- Resiliency and Grit
UW Oshkosh Healthy Campus 2020 Committee members:
- Art Munin – Co Chair
- Dan Schmidt – Co Chair
- Angela Hawley – Student Health
- Nathan Scott – Student Recreation & Wellness
- Tony Dirth – Student Recreation & Wellness
- Juliana Kahrs – Health Promotion
- Sandra Cox – Counseling Center
- Leah Folks – Counseling Center
- Abbas Yaghmaian – Academic Support of Inclusive Excellence
- Abby Sylvia – Residence Life
- Mersadies Vaughan – Reeve Union
- Katelyn Fenner – Human Resources
American College Health Association. (2012, June). Healthy Campus 2020. Retrieved [2018, August], from [www.acha.org/HealthyCampus].