UWO Women’s Center
Campus Center for Equity & Diversity
717 W. Irving Ave.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
Are you ready to challenge man box culture at UW Oshkosh?
Masculinity Monday Discussions
Through discussions on masculinity, we seek to:
- Increase understanding of how hegemonic masculinity sustains gender inequity;
- Increase understanding of hegemonic masculinity as a form of sexism;
- Explore models of masculinity that challenge sexism and gender inequity;
- Recognize how intersectionality shapes masculinity; and
- Promote healthy models of masculinity at UW Oshkosh and in society.
Masculinity Monday discussions have been canceled for the spring semester. We look forward to having you join us in the fall!
Advance-Titan article about Masculinity Monday: Women’s Center hosts discussion about masculinity in the White House
“We want everyone on this campus to be successful and to have a really positive experience. What the research shows is that toxic notions of masculinity can impede or interfere with that success with everything from mental health to academic success.”
-Dr. Alicia Johnson, Director of the Women’s Center
Voices of Titan Men
Voices of Titan Men, held annually in November, is an interactive call-to-action to promote healthy masculinity on campus. The event features a keynote speaker or performer paired with table discussions.
What is healthy masculinity?
Men Can Stop Rape describes healthy masculinity as:
- recognizing unhealthy aspects of masculinity that are harmful to the self and others;
- empathizing with the self and others;
- supporting gender equity and other forms of equity;
- replacing harmful risky and violence masculine attitudes and behaviors with emotional intelligent attitudes and behaviors that respect the self and others; and
- learning and using social and emotional skills to constructively challenge unhealthy masculine attitudes and behaviors.
Suggested Readings and Viewings:
- ‘Man Up’: How A Fear Of Appearing Feminine Restricts Men, And Affects Us All
- Why I’m Done Trying to be “Man Enough”
- A Call to Men
- Violence Against Women: It’s a Men’s Issue
- The Queer, Trans, Non-Binary Strippers Taking Aim at Toxic Masculinity
- The Many Faces of Masculinity
- Masculinity Articles from Vice
- Dear Men Who Wish to Be Allies to Women: 12 Things You Need to Know
- A Reading List for Men Who Care About Feminism