Celebration of Scholarship and Creative Activity 2021

Imaging and Autonomous Mapping using QBot2e

Trevor Carlson

Senior, Computer Science

Abstract

Robots play an essential role in our society today. Robots are being deployed in ever-increasing numbers in industrial manufacturing, warehouse management, household appliances, autonomous navigation, remote sensing and monitoring. Mobile robots play an important role in a wide variety of remote exploration scenarios, both terrestrial and planetary. There are two essential functions of a mobile robot: autonomous navigation and sensing capability. In this poster, we present a characterization of the QBot2e developed by Quanser in terms of its imaging and autonomous mapping capabilities.

Project Background 

I’m a computer science major, but I ended up taking some electrical engineering classes at UWO and had Dr. Nasif as my professor. He approached me about helping him with some research involving the QBot 2e and naturally I was interested since it overlapped with a lot of my interests. Throughout this project, I’ve gotten the opportunity to learn a lot of new things, from kinematics which allow the robot to be precisely controlled to computer vision concepts that allow the robot to “see” its surroundings. I’ve had a few pain points, notably dealing with incomplete and outdated documentation as well as dealing with drifting sensors, but those were just challenges to overcome and everything was manageable.

What Do You Think? 

We encourage you to leave a respectful note, thought or comment with the presenter(s) below as a means of engaging with them. Your responses are appreciated and the presenter(s) will be participating in the conversation. 

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Thank you for visiting Celebration of Scholarship and Creative Activity!
We hope you are inspired by the excellence and hard work of UW Oshkosh Titans.
Office of Student Research and Creative Activity

Dempsey Hall 317
osrca@uwosh.edu
(920) 424-1195