Select Page

Celebration of Scholarship and Creative Activity 2022

“Explorations of fiber through weaving”

Sarah Vandersee

Sophomore, Fine Arts emphisis in 3D Studio

Abstract

Over the pandemic, I became fascinated with the medium of fiber for the unique tactile experiences it can produce and its wide variety of applications. In further exploring these applications, I came to be interested in the process of loom weaving as it was a completely new use of fiber that I had yet to try. The goal of my research then became to understand the basics of operating two sizes of table loom, how different fibers react to the weaving process, and combining those elements to design my own fabrics. Throughout this process, I took inspiration from everyday textiles and other fiber artists, as well as, letting the unique characteristics of each fiber and stitch pattern guide my decisions. In doing so, I aim to bring two-dimensional patterns into a three-dimensional space to create fabrics that are both visually and physically pleasing using design concepts such as color, texture, and pattern.

What Do You Think? 

We encourage you to leave a respectful note, thought or comment with the presenter(s) below as a means of engaging with them. Your responses are appreciated and the presenter(s) will be participating in the conversation. 

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Thank you for visiting Celebration of Scholarship and Creative Activity!
We hope you are inspired by the excellence and hard work of UW Oshkosh Titans.