Management and Human Resources
- Ph.D. Industrial Relations University of Wisconsin Madison 1993
- MS Industrial Relations University of Wisconsin Madison 1989
- BS Economics - Mathematical Emphasis University of Wisconsin Madison 1984
Barbara Rau is a Professor of HR at UW Oshkosh where she teaches MBA and undergraduate courses. In addition to numerous presentations at national conferences, she has published in such academic journals as Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Personnel Psychology and American Psychologist. Dr. Rau served ten years on the Editorial Review Board of the Academy of Management Journal. Her interests include salary negotiations, recruitment, employee relations and work/life balance. She holds a PhD in Industrial Relations from UW Madison.
- DeArmond, S. E., Rau, B. L., Buelow, J., Desai, A. B., & Miller, A. Teaching Professional Skills During the Pandemic: Does Delivery Mode Matter? The International Journal of Management Education.
- Rau, B. L., & Adams, G. A. Recruiting Older Workers: Realities and Needs of the Future Workforce. New York, NY/Oxford University Press: Oxford Handbook of Recruitment.
- Rau, B. L., & Adams, G. A. Retirement and Human Resources Management: A Strategic Approach. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Rau, B. L., Burke, L. A., Neely, A. R., & Evans, W. R. (2017). Factors perpetuating the research-teaching gap in management: A review and propositions. The International Journal of Management Education, 15(3), 501-512.
- Burke-Smalley, L., & Rau, B. L. (2014). Executive Briefing: Moving HR into the Business Core—Critical Information & Creative Ideas.
- Arbaugh, B., DeArmond, S. E., & Rau, B. L. (2013). New Uses for Existing Tools? A Call to Study Online Management Instruction and Instructors. Academy of Management Learning and Education, 12(4), 635-655.
- Rau, B. L. (2012). The diffusion of HR practices in unions. Human Resource Management Review.
- Adams, G. A., & Rau, B. L. (2011). Putting off tomorrow to do what you want today. American Psychologist, 66(3), 180-192.
- Rau, B. L., & Feinauer, D. M. (2010). Bringing HR into the Information Age: Why the status quo isn't going to get us there. Journal of Human Resources Education.
- Arbaugh, B., Rau, B. L., Desai, A. B., & Sridhar, B. (2010). A Review of Research on Online and Blended Learning in the Management Discipline: 1994-2009. Organization Management Journal.
- Rau, B. L., & Feinauer, D. M. (2006). The role of internal agents in starting salary negotiations. Human Resources Management Review, 16: 47-66.
- Adams, G. A., & Rau, B. L. (2005). Organizational Attraction Of Retirees For Bridge Employment. Journal Of Organizational Behavior 26.
- Adams, G. A., & Rau, B. L. (2004). Job Seeking Among Retirees Seeking Bridge Employment. Personnel Psychology 57(3).
- Rau, B. L. (2003). Flexible Work Arrangements.
- Hyland, M. M., & Rau, B. L. (2002). Role Conflict And Flexible Work Arrangements: The Effects On Application Attraction. Personnel Psychology 55(1).
- Rau, B. L., & Olson, C. A. (1997). Negotiated settlements and learning from the arbitration experience. Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 237-251.
- DeArmond, S. E., Rau, B. L., Buelow, J., Desai, A. B., & Miller, A. . Teaching Professional Skills During the Pandemic: Does Delivery Mode Matter?. Academy of Management, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- Rau, B. L., & Hyland, M. . Stay-at-home fathers in the United States: Do they face discrimination when returning to work?. 71st Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Atlanta, GA.
- Piszczek, M. M., DeArmond, S. E., & Rau, B. L. . Work-family role construction and management in family firms: Family and non-family employees. 70th Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California.
- Rau, B. L. . Design the ultimate HR analytics course. 70th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Anaheim, CA.
- Feinauer, D. M., & Rau, B. L. . Teaching Change Management in the HR Management Curriculum. 2013 Innovation in HRM Teaching Conference, Chicago.
- Rau, B. L., Arbaugh, B., & Burke, L. . Putting Human Capital Management into the Business Core:The Case for a Required HRM Course. 2012 Academy of Management Meetings, Boston, MA.
- Rau, B. L., & Burke, L. . Factors Perpetuating the Research-Teaching Gap in > Management Education. 2012 Academy of Management Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Arbaugh, B., Rau, B. L., & DeArmond, S. E. . We need more critics of online management education. 70th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Rau, B. L. . The diffusion of high performance work systems in unions. 61st Annual Meeting of the Labor and Employment Relations Association, San Francisco, CA.
Awards and Honors:
Contracts and Grants: