Open Meeting Calendar
- This event has passed.
January 6, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Video Conference Call
UW Oshkosh Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee Meeting
January 6, 2021 – Collaborate Ultra – 1:00-2:30pm
Dial In Information: +1-571-392-7650PIN: 446 162 1198
I. Meeting called to order at ____________ (Chair Long).
II. Record attendance and confirm quorum.
III. Approval of Minutes from September 14, 2020 IACUC Meeting
IV. Continuing Education (Schill): OLAW Webinar: Developments in FOIA in the Context of Animal Research
V. Training Updates (Hagedorn)
a. Animal Care Training since last meeting:
b. Respirator Fit-Testing since last meeting:
VI. Animal Facility/Maintenance Updates (Hagedorn)
i. Cage washer is getting stuck (again) from time to time. No long-term problems.
ii. Preventive maintenance visit occurred. Filter gasket replaced. Issue with UWO facilities steam pipe noted.
i. Issues with air flow noticed during air flow/balancing assessment conducted by Badger Balancing.
ii. Steam issue caused a large condensation build-up in the facility. Water dripped nearly everywhere. LAM had to do checks and mop for 2-days until facility was safe for student access.
iii. First PM visit occurred. Crack in acid wash tubing was repaired. New hose is needed.
iv. Spill pallets have been added to cage washroom. 5-gallon pails of chemicals recommended for future purchase.
v. Sensaphone sensors have been moved to appropriate locations (near thermostats). No faulty alarms have been reported since.
c. Facility/AAALAC Tasks Completed:
i. Water testing conducted by ERIC Lab on 12/16/20. Report in meeting folder.
ii. Microbial monitoring conducted 11/29/20. Report and test results in meeting folder for discussion.
iii. PPE/Hazard assessment conducted on 12/22/20. Report in meeting folder
iv. Parasitology fecal floatation test conducted on 12/30/20. Report in meeting folder.
VII. Occupational/Environmental Health and Safety: (Schill/Welch)
a. EH&S Committee: EH&S committee sent a promotional announcement to Oshkosh campus employees in mid-November to call attention to the door numbers that were recently posted on the outside of each entrance to buildings on our campus. A memo was drafted and sent to VC Fletcher in January, asking for the establishment of an annual budget to purchase and maintain AEDs on all three campuses. The committee approved use of labels to be adhered to the cover of the Emergency Procedures Guides which are located in main offices, classrooms, and labs. The labels will have the building’s street address and room number on them to reference in case of an emergency call to 911.
b. Lab Shop Studio Safety (LSSST): Updates from Dec. 17, 2020 meeting:
The team discussed what faculty were doing to maximize COVID safety protocols given the nature of many of the lab activities that student was doing. Faculty employed a modified tutorial course delivery mode by splitting the lab sections into smaller groups to have hands-on activities. There was also some discussion about hot plates.
c. Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC): New Biological Safety Officer Danielle Rintala. Danielle serves as the Biological Safety Officer at UW-Milwaukee as well. Next IBC meeting is scheduled for February 4th, 2021 at 12:30 PM.
VIII. Old Business: None
IX. New Business
a. Animal Use Protocols
i. Annual Continuing Reviews Since Last Meeting: (8) (Note: IACUC designates these reviews to IACUC Administrator Schill. Continuing review documents are available to all IACUC members in the IACUC Office or electronically upon request.)
a. (Year 1 and 2) Completed Since Last Meeting (8):
1. Protocol #315: Aseptic feces collection from Mongolian Gerbils (Michalski,Yr 2)
2. Protocol # 294-R1: Banding nestling peregrine falcons nesting at University of Wisconsin Oshkosh (McPhee/Septon, Yr 1)
3. Protocol #298-R1: Pre-hibernation Ground Squirrels as a Model of Obesity (Kurtz,Yr 1)
4. Protocol #260-R2: Mammalian Hibernators: Research and Teaching (Merriman, Yr 2)
5. Protocol # 244-R3: Parasitology Bio 354/554 Course Laboratory Exercises (Michalski,Yr 1)
6. Protocol #246-R3: Molecular Basis of Infectivity-Microfilariae (Michalski, Yr 1)
7. Protocol #249-R3: Feeding of Laboratory-Reared Mosquitoes on Anesthetized Mongolian Gerbils (Michalski,Yr 1)
8. Protocol #302-R1: Temporary Holding of Animals (Hagedorn, Yr 2)
b. Year 3/Project Summary (0)
ii. New Animal Use Protocols (1)
a. Via Designated Member Review (0):
b. Via Full Committee Review (1):
1. Protocol #325: Dye-marking 13-lined ground squirrels (Merriman)
iii. Renewal of Animal Use Protocols (0)
iv. Modification Requests to Animal Use Protocols (7)
a. Via IACUC Administrative Review (3)
1. Protocol # 244-R3: Parasitology Bio 354/554 Course Laboratory Exercises (Michalski): addition of personnel for Kali Belonga, removal of Sophie Chertos and Briana Harter. Status: Training verified and approved 12/14/20.
2. Protocol #246-R3: Molecular Basis of Infectivity-Microfilariae (Michalski): addition of personnel for Kali Belonga, removal of Sophie Chertos and Briana Harter. Status: Training verified and approved for Belonga on 10/13/20.
3. Protocol #249-R3: Feeding of Laboratory-Reared Mosquitoes on Anesthetized Mongolian Gerbils: addition of personnel for Kali Belonga, removal of Sophie Chertos and Briana Harter. Status: Training verified and approved for Belonga on 12/14/20.
b. Via Veterinarian Verification and Consultation (VVC) (1)
1. Protocol #246-R3: Molecular Basis of Infectivity-Microfilariae (Michalski): Addition of use of surgical glue post IP-tap. Status- Approved/pending & date
c. Via Designated Member Review (2)
1. Protocol #302-R1: Temporary Holding of Animals (McDermott, Hagedorn): Change requested includes removal of Dr. McDermott as Co-PI now that she has retired and to be able to adopt out animals after the 3-month holding period that meet criteria listed in SOP #40. Status: pending DMR review.
2. Protocol #305-R1: Breeding and Care of Mongolian Gerbils in a Research Setting (Michalski): Change requested is for Part VII, animals not used for other research purposes and who meet the criteria listed in SOP #40 may be adopted out. Status: pending DMR review.
d. Via Full Committee Review (1)
1. Protocol #320: Germline Transgenic Ground Squirrel (Merriman): Request to add artificial insemination.
b. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) (Hagedorn)
i. New Standard Operating Procedures
a. SOP #47: Physical Restraint
ii. 3 Year Renewal of Standard Operating Procedures
a. SOP #23: Whistle Blower Policy for Animal Welfare Concerns
b. SOP #26: Vertebrate Animals Used for Teaching Purposes
c. SOP #35: Amphibian and Reptile Care
d. SOP #43: Health and Safety Assessment for Personnel with Animal Contact
iii. Updated/Modified Standard Operating Procedures
a. SOP #7: Mongolian Gerbils Care SOP
b. SOP #17: Animal Visitors Policy
c. SOP #34: Surgery Requirements
c. Updated Animal Care and Use Manuals and Forms:
i. Updated Animal Care and Use Manuals
a. Investigator’s Handbook for Animal Care and Use
b. Health Risk Assessment and Respiratory Protection Manual
c. IACUC Committee Procedures Manual
ii. Updated Forms
a. Visitor Disclosure Form
d. Unexpected Event/Problem Reports (0) (Schill)
e. Post-Approval Monitoring (PAM): (1) (Schill/Gasper)
i. Protocol #246-R3: Molecular Basis of Infectivity (Michalski Laboratory 12/28/21): IP tap and retro-orbital sinus blood collection procedures observed on December 28, 2020. Report in meeting folder.
f. Semi-Annual Program Review and Facility Inspections (every 6 months): (Schill/Hagedorn)
i. Subcommittee conducted semi-annual facility inspection on December 28-29, 2020.
ii. Program review to be completed with full committee at today’s meeting January 6, 2021 meeting.
X. Items from IACUC Administration/Compliance (Schill):
a. USDA Annual report submitted 11/24/20.
b. OLAW Annual report submitted 11/24/20.
c. AAALAC Annual report pending submission week of January 4, 2021.
d. AAALAC Site Visit confirmed for January 20, 2021.
e. Media requests should be directed to UMC Executive Director Peggy Breister and Natalie Johnson, Director of Communications.
XI. Items from Chair (Long): None
XII. Items from the Veterinarian (Gasper): None
XIII. Items from the IACUC:
XIV. Items from the floor (guests):
XV. Meeting Adjourned at ___________ (Long).
a. Meeting Information:
i. Wednesday, February 24th, 2021 from 1:30 PM-3:00 PM on Collaborate Ultra
ii. Wednesday, April 14th, 2021 from 1:00 PM-2:30 PM on Collaborate Ultra
iii. Wednesday, May 19th, 2021 from 1:00 PM-2:30 PM on Collaborate Ultra
b. Protocol submission deadlines posted on website under IACUC Meetings tab.
cc: John Koker, Institutional Official for Research, submitted with Semi-Annual Review to IO