Safety Committees and Boards
Environmental Health and Safety Committee
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Environmental Health and Safety Committee is dedicated to promoting healthy and safe environments for all persons of the UW Oshkosh campus community, by identifying and rectifying unsafe practices and conditions.
Additionally, the Committee works to develop and implement policies designed to improve safe work procedures, increase campus awareness of health and safety issues, and reduce risk on campus.
To review health and safety concerns, work to resolve issues or problems informally where possible, and provide recommendations to the administration.
- Faculty: 2
- Academic Staff: 2
- University Staff: 3
- Students: 2
- Co-Chair appointed by Administration: 1
- Administration: 1
- Ex Officio: 5
- Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator: 1
- Residence Life representative: 1
- University Police: 1
- Facilities Management: 1
- Chemical Hygiene Officer/Haz Waste Coordinator: 1
The Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator co-chairs with a member appointed by the Administration.
The EH&S Charter defines the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Environmental Health and Safety Committee’s functions, composition, responsibilities, meetings, and operating rules.
Health and Safety Annual Reports
Every Fiscal Year an annual report is drafted by the Chair of the Health and Safety Committee elaborating on the business conducted and the plans for the coming year. This report also includes a list of members and meetings conducted throughout the year.
Meeting Minutes Archive
Committee Membership 2018-2020
- Filipova, Anna (10): S/S (Public Administration). email@example.com, (920) 424-3230. Term expires 2022.
- Hansen, Sara Steffes (13): Humanities (Journalism). firstname.lastname@example.org, (920) 424-7147. Term expires 2020.
- Academic Staff
- Marcoe, Patrick: Student Rec & Wellness Center. email@example.com, (920) 424-1282. Term expires 2022.
- University Staff
- Paul, George (09): Telecommunications. firstname.lastname@example.org, (920) 424-0377. Term expires 2020.
- Ready, Amy: College of Education & Human Services. email@example.com, (920) 424-1231. Term expires 2021.
- Mosley, Kristina: Theatre. firstname.lastname@example.org, (920) 424-7042. Term expires 2021.
- Long, Colin: Administration. email@example.com, (920) 424-1217.
- Ex Officio:
- Welch, Lori (co-chair): EHS Coordinator. firstname.lastname@example.org, (920) 424-0985.
- Hermes, Chuck (co-chair): Facilities Management. email@example.com, (920) 424-3466.
- Tarmann, Chris: University Police. firstname.lastname@example.org, (920) 424-1212.
- Vander Zanden, Patrick: Resident Life. email@example.com, (920) 424-0480.
- Potratz, Gregory: Chemical Hygiene Officer. firstname.lastname@example.org, (920) 424-1488.
Other Committees and Boards
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
UW Oshkosh is committed to the humane care and use of animals for educational and research purposes. The utilization of animals is a privilege and the responsibility involved in the care and use of animals is a shared act. The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) oversees the use of all vertebrate animal use sponsored by any unit of UW Oshkosh. A vertebrate is defined as any mammal (EXCEPT for human beings), cold-blooded animals such as fish, reptiles and amphibians, and live eggs from birds and reptiles and other embryos therein.
Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
The mission of the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh is to ensure, regardless of funding, that activities with biohazardous materials are conducted safely and responsibly. To fulfill this commitment, the IBC is charged with reviewing and monitoring all research and teaching activities by faculty, staff, and students that utilize biological infectious agents, toxins of biological origin, human or nonhuman primate products (cell lines, tissues, blood products), and recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules. The IBC will maintain compliance with the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules (NIH Guidelines) and will use the Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL), 5th Edition, as an advisory guide.
As a public institution, the University must also comply with regulations prescribed by the Wisconsin Department of Commerce, including the Bloodborne Pathogens Standard, mandated by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Institutional Review Board (IRB)
The primary role of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) is to ensure the ethical treatment of research participants. All research involving human participants must receive IRB approval in accordance with federal regulations set forth by the Department of Health and Human Services and the Food and Drug Administration. Research involving human subjects at UW Oshkosh will be guided by the ethical principles outlined in the 1979 Belmont Report: respect for persons, beneficence, and justice.
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) reviews all human subjects research in which the institution is engaged. Visit the IRB page for more information.
Laboratory Shop Studio Safety Team (LSSST)
With safety of faculty, staff, and students in mind, the UW Oshkosh Laboratory Studio Shop Safety Team (LSSST) was formed in 2012. The team is made up of faculty, academic staff and university staff members from various academic and administrative disciplines.