Event Planning Guide
Please read this guide carefully before planning an activity on behalf UW Oshkosh. If you have questions about the planning process, contact the Events Office.
This Event Planning Guide is here to guide UW Oshkosh students, faculty and staff who coordinate Oshkosh campus events. It includes the key components of event planning for large and small scale events, including catering, marketing, audio/visual needs, and more! Keep in mind that while this guide is presented numerically, the event planning process is not always linear.
If you have any specific questions about your event in regards to logistics, accessibility, etc., here are some resources to help you out:
- Special Events office
- Office of the Provost/Chancellor Office
- Reeve Union
A special event is defined as any meeting, lecture, seminar, conference, social event, etc. that is scheduled to take place in any of the UW Oshkosh classrooms, Culver’s Alumni Welcome Center, Reeve Union, and/or involves outside speakers, outside guests, catering service or will have food served, audio visual needs, housekeeping needs, or parking needs.
Eight steps to a successful event:
- Develop an idea and gather information
- Select a date and location
- Submit a special event request form
- Plan a budget and secure funding
- Determine special needs, complete the event manager questionnaire, and arrange for catering
- Publicize event
- Finalize all details and execute plan
- Follow up and wrap up any loose ends