Today we had a group of four professionals from Honduras join us to talk about Honduras Reality. We had a discussion about the government and why it is the way it is (corrupt), drug trafficking and gang violence, crime and abuse, youth, education and more. One thing I take away from the discussion is my thought to this question: what qualities does a country need to be considered as developed?

So what makes a country developed? Is it countries that speak English, have the internet, offer big shopping malls, or a variety of restaurants? One of the professionals on the panel today described a developed country as having four necessities provided or supported to the people by the government: shelter/safety, health, quality education, and opportunities (jobs). Since Honduras is considered a developing country, Hondurans are not guaranteed all of the four necessities. Until its government functions for the people and not against them, Honduras will be seen as a country in need of improvement. As the corrupt Honduran government continues on with the rich getting richer and poor getting poorer, which seems to be a commonly heard phrase in American society today as well, I’d like to compare Honduras to a developed country, such as the US or England?

Remember the four necessities for a country to be developed? They are shelter/safety, health, quality education, and opportunities. Does the US or England’s government support these necessities? At a quick glance, I would consider that to be true. However, think about urban areas of the US and England. There is a lack of shelter/safety, health, quality education, and opportunities. Crime is increasing and it is prevalent that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Can we not trust our government to provide all necessities to all of our people as well? If not, maybe these countries we consider developed are truly not. People should realize the amount of power they have as individuals to create organized change and demonstration to make things better, such as support in urban areas.

In conclusion, what I learned from the Honduras Reality panel today was my outlook on what I consider a developed country. A developed country, to me, is one that holds a government that works for its people to provide everyone shelter/safety, health, quality education, and opportunities and not taking into effect if the people speak English, have the internet, offer big shopping malls, or a variety of restaurants. What are your thoughts on what qualities a country needs to be considered developed?

-Matt

20130318-225259.jpg