UW Oshkosh Students are awesome!

I’ve worked on this campus for the past 10 years, and I tell you what; just when the coolest student ever graduates and steps into their future, another amazing student steps in to take their place. In just 2 days, I get the honor of accompanying 9 students to Hatteras, North Carolina in the Outer Banks. And I know that at colleges all over the country, there are students doing the same kinds of things, but as I’ve been getting to know these 9 students in preparation for our upcoming trip, I’m again amazed at the heart, the passion, the fun and the sincerity that a group of 18-23 year olds exhibits.

This team is sweet to work with. We have 2 students that are just 2 months away from their graduation. One student is a first year student who visited the UWO campus and knew this was where she was supposed to be. Another student is a transfer that we stole fair and square from Stevens Point. We have a student that I swear is going to be the best teacher kids have ever had, a student that is on her way to being a nurse, another a social worker, a student leader that works in our Residence Life program and finally, a student who is a guru with sustainability and environmental sciences!

Each of these students has decided to spend their Spring Break traveling to North Carolina to serve a not-for-profit Ocean Center on Hatteras Island. Check this place out: http://www.hioceancenter.org/ In fact, a UW Oshkosh Alum is the director there, and we’re headed down to help him clean up post-hurricane season and get ready for a busy tourism schedule. (And we may just squeeze in some time to kayak, bike and paddle board too…)

We will keep you updated each step of the way, (and a picture of our team will be coming once we can all be in the same place at the same time!) and are thankful for your support!