Academic Retention Specialist (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Student Services Coordinator)
Multicultural Retention Programs/Division of Academic Support of Inclusive Excellence
Campus Center for Equity and Diversity (Oshkosh Campus)
- Co-Advisor with Mai Lee: Multicultural Student Coalition
- Committees: Student Success & Retention & Bias Response Team
How do I help students?:
- Meet with students to do check-ins as needed: brainstorm ideas to overcome challenges and celebrate their successes
- Connecting students to campus partners/resources that can additionally support them
- Advocate and empower students with knowledge of different institutional processes
As a first-generation college graduate, Alyssa received their Master of Education, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania. In this position, they are a resource for students that may have questions/concerns about their academics. Alyssa is dedicated to helping students transition and navigate the college experience. As well as helping build community and belonging for all students including those who are Black, Brown, Asian and/or Pacific Islander, Latino/a/x/Hispanic, and Indigenous, students who are differently-abled or neurodiverse, students who experience poverty, students of different religious faiths, students of different gender and sexual identities, students who are culturally and linguistically diverse, and their intersections.
Before joining the Division of Academic Support of Inclusive Excellence, Alyssa was one of the Residence Hall Directors in the Department of Residence Life at UW Oshkosh. They also worked in Student Affairs at UW Stevens Point and the University of South Florida. Alyssa was born and raised in New Jersey. In their free time, Alyssa enjoys hiking with their dog, Mable, hammocking, journaling, and spending time with family and friends.