Academic Retention Specialist (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Student Services Coordinator)
Multicultural Retention Programs/Division of Academic Support of Inclusive Excellence
Campus Center for Equity and Diversity (Oshkosh Campus)
How do I help students?:
- Mentor and coach students from historically marginalized racial/ethnic groups on how to navigate college.
- Provide academic resources to help students persist and graduate from college.
- Advocate and empower students with knowledge of different institutional processes.
- Co-Advisor with Maria Graf: Student Organization of Latinos
- Committees: Hispanic/Latinx Advisory Council, Student Success & Retention & Bias Response Team
Esmeralda holds a bachelor’s degree in Spanish from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh and is pursuing a master’s degree in Public Administration. She has worked in various capacities at UW Oshkosh, most recently as the Admissions Counselor for the Latino/a/x/Hispanic community. Thankful for the friendships/mentors she has gained during her time as a student and professionally, Esmeralda hopes to build those same relationships with students and to provide the same support, guidance, and opportunities in her new role as the Academic Retention Specialist. Her goal for her students is to become strong leaders, learn how to advocate for themselves, and leave as alumni of the university.
During her free time, she keeps involved in her community by serving as a board member and volunteering with local organizations. She loves spending time with her family, sorority sisters, and friends.