Hey, I’m Cole and I recently transferred here to UWO! When I first arrived on campus, I knew I wanted to get involved, but wasn’t exactly sure where to start. Transferring from a different school to a new campus can be a little intimidating, but luckily for you, I compiled a list of ways you, as a future UWO student, can get involved on campus and meet new people! 

1. Put yourself out there

When I first came to campus, I told myself that I would say yes to almost everything that would help me get to know the campus and the students here. It may be a little scary at first, but you’ll meet friends and people who you never would have if you would’ve said no.

Processed with VSCOcam with a6 preset

2. Join a club/organization

UW Oshkosh offers tons of clubs and organizations that you can get involved in! I’m in the Film Society Club and it’s perfect because I get to meet people who love film just as much as I do. UW Oshkosh offers more than 160 clubs and organizations that any student can join, all you have to do is find the ones that are perfect for you!

3. Live on campus

I highly recommend that you live on campus when you transfer to UWO, even if you don’t have to. I currently live in a residence hall and it’s been a great experience. While living in a residence hall, you will most likely have a roommate, which is a quick way to make a new friend! My roommate and I like to play video games together and go to lunch and dinner any chance we get. There are also a lot of activities that you can be a part of in each hall, like kickball tournaments, group volunteer work, student government and more!

4. Sign up for intramurals

Another easy way to get involved on campus is to sign up for intramural sports. My first semester, I joined a “capture-the-flag” intramural team with some friends and met some awesome people that I still talk to today.

5. Get a job on campus

Getting a job on campus is a great way to learn more about UW Oshkosh and the people who go there! Having an on-campus job can also help build connections with faculty and staff, which can be helpful while you’re a student and even after you graduate. My second semester here I was hired to be on the UWO Social Media Team and since then, I’ve met some amazing people and made tons of great new friends.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

I hope this list gives you some great ideas on how to get involved on campus when you transfer here to UWO! If you have any questions, you can comment below or message me on my Facebook page. Hope to see you around campus soon!

-Cole

Cole