by Megan Sullivan

When you first start your journey as a Titan, there are a lot of adjustments to be made and things to figure out: how your meal plan works, the best study spots on campus, how to navigate being roommates with a stranger, finding all of your classes, and so much more.

Hi, I am Megan Sullivan, a junior in the Communication Studies program.  I remember when I was a first year student, one of the things that I kept asking myself was, “What the heck are these people talking about?!” There are so many acronyms on campus, and I felt silly not knowing what people were referring to. So, I compiled a list of some of the most used acronyms to finally create a place to help you figure all of this out.

1. CAR: Center for Academic Resources

Now, this is an important one! The Center for Academic Resources is located on the first floor of the Student Success Center, right across the cul-de-sac from Reeve Union. Although there are plenty of awesome resources in this building, the CAR is one of my favorites! This office is like the ‘hub’ of all things tutoring. As a UWO student, you automatically receive 5 free hours of tutoring each week!

In my first year, I was convinced that I would not need a tutor. However, after my first math exam, the CAR became a second home to me. One thing I love is that there is no negative stigma around getting tutored on campus. Throughout my three years here, I do not know a single student who has not used their services. I recommend finding a tutor early in the semester and making it a part of your routine!

2. SI: Supplemental Instructor

On the same note as tutoring, supplemental instructors are another great resource to receive academic help outside of class. SIs are Titans who have received an A in a class and choose to re-take it with you. They go to class, take notes, and are there to help you with anything you need! Then, once or twice a week, they hold optional review sessions in which they re-teach the material to you, without the professor present. Although it is not mandatory to attend, I highly recommend going to your SI sessions, especially since they will make sure to review for upcoming exams.

3. TUG: Titan Underground

Personally, the TUG is one of my favorite places on all of campus. Located on the lower level of Reeve Union, the Titan Underground is a great place to hang out, study, eat, play games, and even go to campus events. As far as food—they really have it all. Although their paninis, mac & cheese, and brownie sundaes are campus favorites, the TUG has a nearly endless selection. There are pool tables, board games, and even video games. Plus, there is a stage where they host karaoke nights, Battle of the Bands, magicians, comedians, and more. Overall, if you are ever bored, head down to the TUG and you are guaranteed to stumble across some sort of fun.

4. UARC: Undergraduate Advising and Resource Center

This office is another one that all students should visit rather frequently. The UARC is on the second floor of the Student Success Center and is there to help you succeed in your academic journey. This office is stocked with Academic Advisors who you can meet with to explore majors/minors and help plan future classes. If you have a question about enrolling in classes or planning your major, this is where you want to be!

5. AT: The Advance-Titan

The Advance-Titan is our on-campus newspaper. This weekly newspaper is completely run by students, and it highlights what is going on within our campus community. The AT office is also located in the lower level of Reeve. Especially if you are someone interested in journalism, I highly recommend getting involved.

6. CCED: Campus Center for Equity and Diversity

Tucked behind Horizon Village is the Campus Center for Equity and Diversity. This building is absolutely packed full of free resources for students. UWO is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and this building is just one way that we do so. Some of the resources offered here (to name a few) are Indigenous Student Support and Wellness, Latinx/Hispanic Student Services, LGBTQ+ Resource Center, Men of Color Initiative, Women’s Center, and more! This is definitely something that you need to take advantage of as a student.

7. MEC: Multicultural Education Center

Not only is the MEC a beautiful historic house located next to Taylor, but it is also another resource to help make campus an inclusive place for all students. This building serves as a resource center for students, faculty, and community members. Along with a library and study lounge, many student organizations are found here such as Student Organization of Latinos, Sisterhood, Hmong Student Union, Men of Distinction and so much more!

Although it can be overwhelming to learn a whole new campus and routine as an incoming student, I hope that I’ve helped to make all of our acronyms a little more manageable! One of my favorite things about UWO is that there is an endless amount of resources available, and there’s a place for all students to belong. As always, if you have any questions about the awesome perks about what it is like to be a Titan, do not hesitate to reach out to the Admissions Office!