If you are a victim or a witness of a verbally abusive individual or disruptive event:
- Call personally or have someone else call University Police (424-1212).
- Identify your name, location and need for assistance. Stay on the phone with the dispatcher and follow any directions given.
- Stay calm and be supportive to others who may be experiencing verbal abuse.
- If you can, remove yourself or the targeted staff member to his/her office and lock the door.
- Attempt to diffuse the situation. Acknowledge anger, but calmly ask the abusive person to leave.
- If the person still will not leave, advise them that the police have been called and that they must leave immediately.
- Never endanger yourself needlessly or continue to argue with an abusive person. Any expression of violence or weapons should be reported to University Police immediately at (920) 424-1212.