The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Policy # [####]
Evaluation of Instructional Academic Staff (ACS 6.0 and 6.1)
Original Issuance Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
Last Revision Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
Next Review Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
2. RESPONSIBLE OFFICER
6. POLICY STATEMENT
ACS 6.0. Evaluation of Academic Staff.
All evaluation processes for the academic staff shall be conducted in a manner consistent with any particular requirements of the University’s compensation guidelines (which are normally issued on a yearly basis). For academic staff with a split assignment, the unit in which the assignment is greatest shall have responsibility for initiating the evaluation. All other supervisors shall file evaluations with the initiating unit, with copies also provided to the next level of administrative reportage (i.e., a director files copies with the other unit’s supervisor or director and also with the appropriate Vice Chancellor or equivalent administrator to whom they report). For appointments involving individuals with split appointments in instructional academic staff areas, the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs will decide which unit shall originate the recommendation; for all other academic staff with split appointments, the decision will be made by the Director of Human Resources after consultation with the appropriate Vice Chancellor(s).
ACS 6.1. Instructional Academic Staff.
(1) For all instructional academic staff, annual facetoface meetings will be held with supervisors to discuss performance.
(2) Continuing instructional academic staff will be evaluated every two years for the previous two calendar years. Academic staff on terminal appointments will be evaluated each year for the previous calendar year.
(3) This evaluation will include at least one classroom visit by a department (or equivalent) colleague, and at least three classes of student evaluations during any two year period for instructional academic staff teaching half time or more.
(4) Expectations in the areas of teaching, scholarship and service will be communicated (in writing) at the prior year’s evaluation for continuing academic staff or at the start of the contract for terminal academic staff. The expectations for instructional academic staff are typically different from those for tenured and tenure track faculty, as determined by the college and/or department (or equivalent).
(5) Instructional academic staff may provide an annual evaluation folder describing their activities in relation to the expectations provided.
(6) Peer and student evaluations along with review of material supplied by the academic staff member will be used to establish merit.
(7) Specific methods for determining merit will be established in each college.
9. REVISION HISTORY