The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Policy # [####]
Introduction to Academic Staff (ACS 1.0–2)
Original Issuance Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
Last Revision Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
Next Review Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
2. RESPONSIBLE OFFICER
6. POLICY STATEMENT
ACS 1.0. Introduction.
These Academic Staff Personnel Rules for the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh were developed by the Senate of Academic Staff and approved by the Chancellor. These rules govern the nature of all academic staff appointments at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. These rules are consistent with requirements found in the rules of the Board of Regents, University of Wisconsin System as presented in the Wisconsin Administrative Code, and as presented as appendices to these rules. These rules are to be construed in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 36 of the Wisconsin Statutes. These rules clarify practice and procedures for Academic Staff personnel but do not define reporting structure or, in some cases, decision making authority.
ACS 1.1. Academic Staff Defined.
“Academic Staff,” as defined in section UWS 1.01 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code, “means professional/administrative personnel, other than faculty and classified staff, with duties and types of appointments that are primarily associated with higher education institutions or their administration.”
1. Categories. The University of Wisconsin System recognizes three categories of Academic Staff: A, B, and C.
a. Category A includes all professional/administrative academic staff such as: Administrative Directors/Officers, Program Managers and other Professional Titles.
b. Category B includes researchers and instructional academic staff who provide for-credit instruction and training for students.
c. Category C includes coaches as well as Academic Administrators constituting the executive layer of System and campus leadership.
2. Limited Appointments Distinguished from Academic Staff Appointments. A limited appointment is a special appointment used for a designated administrative position that serves at the pleasure of the authorized official making that appointment. Chapter UWS 15 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code governs the use of limited appointments. Limited appointees will also hold a concurrent appointment as either a member of the faculty (nearly always with tenure), or as a member of the academic staff. A member of the academic staff granted a limited appointment shall not lose existing rights to an academic staff appointment by accepting the limited appointment.
ACS 1.2. Conditions of Academic Staff Appointments.
1. Individuals appointed to the academic staff hold appointments as members of the University’s unclassified staff and are hired and assigned to an identified operational area (e.g., academic department, college, or administrative unit, etc.) at the time of appointment.
2. Academic staff appointments shall be issued to all professional/administrative unclassified positions.
3. Academic staff appointments shall be issued to full-time, part-time and/or temporary instructional positions. Temporary appointments include:
a. A position not expected to be filled for more than one year by the same individual (e.g., replacement for a person on leave);
b. A position specifically designed for academic staff by the department or administrative unit; or
c. A position created with funding from a source other than State General Purpose Revenue (e.g., federal grants or other private funding) such that continued funding for the position is uncertain.
9. REVISION HISTORY