The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Policy # [####]
Outstanding Service Award (ACS 13.0-3)
Original Issuance Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
Last Revision Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
Next Review Date: MMMM DD, YYYY
2. RESPONSIBLE OFFICER
6. POLICY STATEMENT
ACS 13.0. Outstanding Service Award.
The Outstanding Service Award the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh recognizes the contributions of professional/administrative academic staff and non-teaching faculty to the University. The award emphasizes the importance of services to students and services affecting the academic environment, the administration, and the reputation of the University.
ACS 13.1. Eligibility.
Current professional/administrative academic staff and non-teaching faculty in academic staff positions who have a contract longer than one-semester-only and who are at least .50 FTE are eligible for the award.
ACS 13.2. Criteria.
Nominees must demonstrate excellence in their current job in providing student and/or professional support services at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.
(1) Evidence of outstanding performance in the nominee’s current position is the primary consideration for receiving the Outstanding Service Award. This primary area will constitute no less than 75 percent of a nominee’s evaluation for this award.
(2) Evidence of outstanding service beyond the nominee’s current position is of secondary consideration. Performance in the following areas will constitute no more than 25 percent of a nominee’s award.
(a) Service to the University. Service (outside their job description) with university-wide impact such as serving on University-wide committees, inter-departmental committees, focus groups, task forces, etc.;
(b) Service to the nominee’s profession. Service on professional committees, speaking engagements, publications, or participation in professional development activities that advance the nominee’s profession and enhance the nominee’s performance in his or her role at the University; or
(c) Service to the greater community. Service as a representative of UW Oshkosh that enhances or promotes the University’s mission, vision, or strategic goals and directions.
ACS 13.3. Selection Process.
The selection process includes the following activities:
(1) Selection Committee. An Outstanding Service Award Committee will be appointed by the Senate of Academic Staff. It will consist of no fewer than five academic staff or faculty in academic staff positions who are at least .50 FTE and whose contracts are longer than one-semester only. The length of terms will be staggered to assure continuity. The committee will elect its own chairperson.
(2) Nominations. In February of each year, nominations for the Outstanding Service Award will be solicited. All University personnel and students are eligible to submit nominations.
(a) A listing of individuals who are eligible to receive the award will be provided to the committee by the office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs.
(b) The committee will send out a call for nominations by the first week of February.
(c) Nominations of eligible individuals will be received by the Outstanding Service Award Committee by March 1.
(d) The committee will ask for documentation from each nominee to be received by April 1.
(e) The committee will draw up a list of no more than four and no fewer than two individuals it recommends for receipt of the award. This list should not be ranked.
(f) The committee’s list and statements of recommendation will be forwarded by May 1 to the Chancellor or designee, who will select the recipient(s) of the award. If the Chancellor or designee needs additional information, clarification, or advice, he/she will request a meeting with the committee.
(4) Presentation. The Outstanding Service Award will be presented in the fall during the University’s opening day assembly for faculty and academic staff.
9. REVISION HISTORY