Select Page

Berkley Lake

Hometown: Stevens Point,, WI
Major: Criminal Justice and Sociology (Social Control, Deviance & Criminology)
Certificate: Social Equity and Diversity

Why sociology? II chose Sociology as one of the degrees I wanted to pursue because of the gained critical thinking skills along with the interconnectedness it has with the Criminal Justice Department. The classes taught by the Sociology Department have given me a different perspective and have allowed me to broaden my thinking and draw better connections with others who are not like me.

What are some of the key things that you got out of the major? Throughout my time with the Sociology Department, I have learned a great deal which I think will help me with my future endeavors. My degrees, coupled with the Social Equity and Diversity Certificate, have changed the way I look at seemingly everyday situations. Being able to learn about social problems through a sociological perspective is eye-opening and has made me more socially aware of every person’s inequalities.

What other activities have you been involved in? During my time at the University, I have had the opportunity to be a part of numerous organizations. I worked as a tutor for the Student Success Center where I taught Criminal Justice Statistics. Through the Criminal Justice Department, I was offered an internship with the University Police Department as a Criminal Analyst. After that internship, I started working for the University Police Department as a Student Dispatcher. During my last semester here, I am doing another internship at the Winnebago County Sherriff’s Department which allows me to see their day-to-day operations and their numerous divisions.

What are some of your interests? Other interests I have outside of my job, internship, and school are limited, but rewarding. Being able to spend time with my friends is one of the things I do with the majority of my free time. This is especially prevalent now since we are all going in separate directions after graduation. Some of my other hobbies include watching a good television show or movie and reading a crime or mystery thriller.

What are my plans for the future? Once I graduate in May, I am planning on taking on a full-time position at Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department as a Corrections Deputy. From there, I am hoping to get Law Enforcement Certified which will allow me to move to the Patrol Division and see other divisions at Winnebago County.