Clarice Parker

Hometown: Oshkosh, WI

Why sociology? I really enjoyed Sociology 101 while taking exploratory courses during my freshman year. I kept taking sociology courses and I loved learning about the mechanics of society. It was one of the few classes I was excited to go to and learn about, I took it as a sign to make it my major.

What are some of the key things that you got out of the major? One of the biggest key things I’ve gotten out is being able to recognize social and cultural boundaries. Some other key things involve being able to have a wider lens of perspective on social situations. As well as being able to look deeper into the causes behind social roles, situations, and relationships.

What other activities have you been involved in? I completed a unique internship with a local grocery chain that lead to a huge expansion in my social network. I enjoy doing my own personal research and writing on social movements, specifically ones that involve the changing work culture and governmental legislature. I’ve taken part in some petition work for environmental protections. I have also been involved with standing up for workers rights locally and across the country.

What are some of your interests? A few of my interests are traveling, hiking and hammocking, fishing, gardening, painting, and reading. I really enjoy traveling and sightseeing in different national parks.

What are my plans for the future? I would like to have a career in HR or managerial work. I would prefer to be in a training and development specialist role as I enjoy learning and teaching new skills. I’m not in a rush to find a career, I value work-life balance and want to find something that makes sense for what I want out of my life and career. I plan to travel for a few months after I graduate before I settle into a career since I’ll have the rest of my life to work.