Internal Position Descriptions
University Studies Program (USP) Director
Formal Title: Director, University Studies Program
Department: University Studies Program (USP)
Reports To: Office of the Provost
Category: Faculty or Instructional Academic Staff;
FTE: Concurrent appointment in academic department: .75 FTE in USP and .25 FTE in academic department during academic year, two months in the summer
Salary: Range/course release
This position reports to and works closely with the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The USP Director is responsible for coordinating and optimizing collaborative partnerships across the University in support of maintaining the quality of the University Studies Program, ensuring that it provides the foundation for learning in students’ eventual major programs of undergraduate study. The USP Director provides leadership and administration of the University Studies Program and the USP’s primary advisory bodies—USP Core Team, USP Council, I Team, and University Studies Committee of Faculty Senate. The USP Director also organizes professional development opportunities related to teaching in the USP and works with the Director for the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) to create faculty development opportunities that serve USP instructor needs. Finally, the USP Director will teach one Quest (or COMM 111/WRT 188 or Connect) course per academic year in their academic department.
In addition to the Office of the Provost, close and regular collaboration with the following units is expected and required: College of Letters & Science Dean’s Office, Undergraduate Advising Resource Center, Registrar’s Office, Admissions Office, Alumni Relations, Honors College, Career and Professional Development, Center for Academic Resources, Oshkosh Student Association, Academic Support of Inclusive Excellence, Writing Center, Polk Library (and related units on the Fox Cities and Fond du Lac campuses), Office of Institutional Research, University Marketing and Communications, and Office of Online and Continuing Education.
Individuals reporting to this position include the USP Associate Director for Instruction, and two Academic Program Managers (Student Services and Outreach).
Essential Job Duties
- Administration of the University Studies Program (50%)
- Maintain the integrity of the USP by ensuring consistent policies and implementation of those policies. Collaborate with all venues of the USP across all three campuses and online.
- Encourage the evolution of USP programming and policies to suit University needs.
- Work with Student Success units across campus to enhance student success and retention in general education courses.
- Provide leadership and effective administration for the USP.
- Develop and implement USP policies, in coordination with the University Studies Committee of Faculty Senate, the USP Council, USP Core Team, and I Team.
- Represent the USP internally and to external constituencies.
- Oversee the dissemination of information about the USP (including the website, social media and print materials), consulting with other units as appropriate.
- Provide strategic planning, development, and administrative oversight of campus-wide programs to enhance and/or showcase student learning in USP courses, especially in Quest sequence programs such as academic open house week, class visits by academic advisers, alumni, and career advisers, and communicating campus events to instructors in Quest I, Quest II, WRT 188, and COMM 111.
- Supervision of USP Administration in Pollock House (20%)
- Supervise and provide administrative oversight for the USP.
- Provide supervision and evaluation of USP staff and assist in their professional development.
- Compile USP reports for the Provost, the Faculty Senate, and outside constituencies as necessary.
- Participate in budget development and maintenance for the USP.
- Collaborate with the Office of the Provost in seeking grant funding appropriate to support USP teaching and learning.
- Committee Leadership and Involvement (20%)
- Provide leadership and direction for the USP Council and USP Core Team.
- Serve as the representative for USP on various other committees as necessary, including the University Studies Committee of Faculty Senate.
- Serve as a member of the Provost’s Administrative Staff.
- Serve on various ad hoc committees as necessary.
- Teaching in the USP (10%)
- Engage with students in at least one USP course per academic year as departmental needs allow in Explore, COMM 111, WRT 188, or Connect courses.
- Develop USP courses as necessary or as requested by the academic department.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Candidates for this position must present evidence of the following:
- Faculty member at the associate or full professor level at UWO or IAS with a minimum of 7 years of experience at UWO.
- Administrative experience in higher education and/or a university system;
- Administrative experience with general education programs;
- Structural knowledge of the University Studies Program, which can be reflected in past work with USP advisory bodies, membership in the University Studies Committee of Faculty Senate, attendance at USP workshops, etc.;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of campus units to solve problems and develop innovative solutions;
- Commitment to the idea and goals of a liberal arts education and inclusive excellence;
- Commitment to the idea and goals of shared governance; and
- Record of and demonstrated commitment to teaching, professional growth, and service.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking and analytical abilities
- Knowledge of innovative pedagogical and assessment practices
- Open and collegial administrative style
- Experience teaching in the USP
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work with multiple constituencies