MFA for Students
What is Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)?
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is an additional layer of security that makes it harder for hackers to log in to your account. With MFA, you will use something you know (your password) with something you have (your phone) to confirm your identity when signing in.
Here are some common ways MFA is used every day:
- When using an ATM, you need your debit card and your PIN number.
- When paying for gas with a credit card you need to enter your zip code.
- When logging into your bank account online you may be prompted to enter a security code sent via text message or email.
New to MFA?
- For details on how to enroll, sign in and manage your devices, please review our instructions.
- Students that are currently enrolled at UWO will be able to sign up for MFA when they log in to Office 365.
- For details on how to enroll, please review these instructions.
- UW Oshkosh recommends students choose to receive notifications with the Microsoft Authenticator app. Then, they can simply tap ‘Approve’ on the push notification you’ll receive on their phone. Additionally, if you do not have a device that supports Microsoft Authenticator, text messages can be sent to your phone.
- Any student who feels they feel they do not have the technology to successfully enroll in MFA should contact the UWO Help Desk at (920) 424-3020 or email@example.com.
Currently Enrolled in MFA
- Students that are currently enrolled in Duo MFA because of their university employment will need to enroll their student account in Microsoft MFA. In the coming weeks these students will have their student account unenrolled from Duo but continue to utilize Duo for their staff accounts (staff.netid).
- MFA is required for Office 365.
- To review your information, add new device, etc. visit your security options page.
Is MFA mandatory?
Yes, all students currently enrolled at UWO will be required to enroll in multi-factor authentication (MFA) to provide an additional layer of security for their NetID accounts. On Friday, April 30, 2021 MFA will become mandatory upon logging into Office 365. MFA is an essential element of cybersecurity and it will aid in protecting their online information as well as UWO’s.
What services require MFA?
Currently, Office 365 is the only service which requires MFA when signing in.
How do I get MFA?
MFA is available for students currently enrolled at UWO. For details on how to enroll, sign in and manage your devices, please review our instructions.
Review these instructions and clicking the Register Now button above to enroll in Microsoft MFA for Office 365.
If you feel you do not have the technology to successfully enroll, please call the UWO Help Desk at (920) 424-3020.
What do I do if I lost my device, left it at home or am experiencing difficulties authenticating?
Call the UWO Help Desk at (920) 424-3020 for assistance. Depending on your circumstance, they can either generate a temporary access pass or assist you in configuring another device for MFA.
Do I have to authenticate every time?
Yes, MFA will be required whenever you are required to re-authenticate Office 365.
Do I have to use a smartphone to do this?
No, any telephone or smart device will work. Smart devices are recommended as they provide the quickest, simplest experience through the approval of notification prompts. Additionally, SMS or text messages can be sent to your phone along with receiving a phone call for verification to the phone number on record.
Should I enroll more than one device?
Yes, we encourage you to enroll more than one device if possible in case your main device is lost or unavailable.