Scholarships and Awards
Scholarships managed by UW Oshkosh Theatre Department
Abel | St. Andrew's Performing Arts
This scholarship was established through a donation made by Joan Abel to St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church.
- Applicant must be full-time and achieve at least junior standing by the fall semester of the following academic year.
- Applicant must be majoring theatre (acting emphasis)
- Applicant must have a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Show financial need as determined by the FAFSA
- Students graduating in the current academic year are not eligible to apply.
Don Burdick Scholarship
This scholarship was established in memory of theatre professor and director Don P. Burdick. It is intended to encourage life-long participation and love of theatre, providing financial support for students whose personal and professional qualities mirror the commitment and passion for the performing arts that Don embodied.
- Applicant must be enrolled full-time
- Applicant must have a minimum 3.0 GPA in their major and a minimum of 45 credits completed at the time of application
- Submit resume and essay demonstrating you lifelong interest/commitment to theatre
- Provide the name and email of two individuals who agree to serve as references — one must be a UWO faculty or staff member
- Applicants must demonstrate involvement in UW Oshkosh theatre productions.
Students graduating in the current academic year are not eligible to apply. First preference will be given to students with a theatre major or minor. Previous recipients are eligible to reapply for the award. However, a recipient may only received the award a total of two times.
Mark Gruenwald Scholarship
This scholarship was established in memory of UW Oshkosh alumnus Mark Gruenwald.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled UW Oshkosh students who demonstrate an interdisciplinary approach to the arts by being be involved in two or more areas or the arts.
- Submit resume detailing the student’s main and supporting areas of focus
- Submit statement of artistic interdisciplinary aspirations.
- Provide the name and email of two UWO faculty or staff member who agree to serve as references
Students graduating in the current academic year are not eligible to apply.
Edith Hollister Award
The Edith Hollister Award was established in 1991 to provide support for the theatre and drama program.
The award is given to students for outstanding contributions in various areas selected by theatre faculty.
In the past some categories have included:
- UW Oshkosh Theatre Acting Award
- UW Oshkosh Theatre Freshman Award
- UW Oshkosh Theatre Technical Award
- UW Oshkosh Theatre Senior Award
This scholarship was created by Mary and Ruth Willcockson
- Applicants must be an admitted new freshman
- Applicants must rank in top 25 percent of high school class
- Provide a resume of theatre activities
- Submit the name and email of two individuals who agree to serve as references — one should be from your drama teacher or theatre director
Winners must participate in the theatre program during their freshmen year — one credit is earned each semester
Mark Gruenwald was a student at UWO from 1971 to 1975, earning his Bachelor’s degree in Art. He went on to become a major creative force at Marvel Comics in New York, beginning as an Assistant Director and advancing to Chief Executive Editor…read more