Our IT staff has had a very busy summer getting ready for the start of the fall semester! Now that it is here, we would like to remind you of some of the services we offer and inform you about some of the changes we have made to serve the campus.
For general IT questions and to get help with IT services:
- Our IT Help Desk is available by emailing email@example.com or by calling 920-424-3020.
- Classroom Technology Services can be requested by calling 920-424-3328 or 920-424-4979
- An extensive knowledgebase has been created to answer many of the most common questions: https://kb.uwosh.edu/
As part of the Titans Return plan, we have made several changes to ensure the safe return to campus, enable remote learning, and provide resources to work from home.
- Walk-up service is now available at the Clow Technology Center in Clow C010 from 7:30 am-10:00 pm Monday – Thursday and 7:30 am-4:30 pm Friday.
- Classroom upgrades: All general classrooms on the Oshkosh campus have access to web cams with built-in microphones and a document camera.
- Computer labs have been reconfigured to promote social distancing. Find more information including locations for each campus: Computer Labs & Hours
- New virtual computer labs have been implemented to allow remote access to generalized lab software. You can access the virtual labs by visiting uwo.sh/vlabinfo.
- Telecommuting Resources such as VPN access and remote access to your office phone can be found here: https://uwosh.edu/it/working-remotely/
- For additional VOIP Telephony service information, check out our knowledgeable articles on how to setup your VoIP service, reset voicemail passwords, change voicemail messages, enable the Jabber client, and others: https://kb.uwosh.edu/search.php?q=voip&cat=0&aud=0
Changes to hardware and software purchase processes have streamlined the workflows and made it even easier to place and process orders.
- Hardware requests can be made through the IT Purchasing Request form: https://uwosh.edu/it/purchase-request/
- Software requests should be made by emailing the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A few reminders of ways to keep our data and systems secure:
- If you haven’t already, set up your self-service password reset options. This will save you time and eliminate the need to call the help desk to reset your NetID password: https://aka.ms/ssprsetup
- Watch for Phishing and common email scams. All external email will continue to be tagged with a very noticeable “External” banner tag reminding the user the potential threat. Be careful when responding to these messages as UWO continues to experience phishing attempts. Work-from-home and “Are you busy?” scams continue to affect us as well. Our friends at Marshall University has a great writeup of the “Are you busy?” scam: https://www.marshall.edu/it/2019/04/11/employee-loses-in-bogus-e-mail-scam/
- UW Board or Regents policy 25-3 contains important information on our responsibilities on the acceptable use of information technology resources. It is a very important read! Check it out here: https://www.wisconsin.edu/regents/policies/acceptable-use-of-information-technology-resources/
Thank you for everything you do! This semester is full of change, but the team in IT is steadfast in our commitment to serving our campuses. Have a great semester and please connect with us if you have any questions!
Your IT team