Celebration of Scholarship and Creative Activity 2021

“Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 16 by Edvard Grieg”

Joshua Kriegl

Senior, Music Education

Abstract

Edvard Grieg’s first and only Piano Concerto is one of the most famous and recognizable piano concertos ever written. Many have said that it is an excellent musical representation of the rugged beauty of Norway, Grieg’s homeland. This concerto is certainly one of my favorites, and it has been a pleasure to have the opportunity to learn and perform it.

Project Background

I have always wanted to learn a piano concerto. I decided to begin learning this particular concerto because it is one of my favorites and my piano teacher, Dr. Eli Kalman, suggested it. I have poured countless hours into mastering this monumental composition. My practice sessions usually involved playing a short section under tempo using various practice techniques that I have learned throughout my time in college (1+1 measures, rhythms, repetition, etc.). I started with the cadenza because I knew it would be the trickiest part to learn as well as being the most exposed (the orchestra does not play during the cadenza which is where the soloist shines most).
Learning this difficult piece has improved my technique considerably to the point that learning new pieces that are easier than this one has become a much quicker process.

What Do You Think? 

We encourage you to leave a respectful note, thought or comment with the presenter(s) below as a means of engaging with them. Your responses are appreciated and the presenter(s) will be participating in the conversation. 

7 Comments

1. Margaret Grewal

This is so delightful. Thank you for sharing Grieg’s music and your amazing talent with the piano! Congrats!

Reply
  2. Abby Shreve

Absolutely breathtaking Josh, always such a pleasure to watch you play. Congratulations!! 🙂

Reply
  3. Catherine Schmitt

Absolutely beautiful. Nicely done! I can only imagine what it would sound like if I were in the concert hall.

Reply
  4. Alison Shaw

Wonderful performance! Congratulations on winning the honors recital.

Reply
  5. Susan Surendonk

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your talent.

Reply
  6. Ann Kunkle-Jones

Wow! Such a powerful, goose-bump inducing performance! Amazing work.

Reply
  7. Molly Hennig

Josh, I am so happy for you! This is an incredible performance. Thank you so much for sharing your musicianship and artistry.

Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Thank you for visiting Celebration of Scholarship and Creative Activity!
We hope you are inspired by the excellence and hard work of UW Oshkosh Titans.
Office of Student Research and Creative Activity

Dempsey Hall 317
osrca@uwosh.edu
(920) 424-1195