Emergency Management and Fire Service Management Certificates
Grow professionally with our online certificates.
Students can choose between two separate Fire and Emergency Response Management certificates: Emergency Management or Fire Service Management. Enroll today in one of these five-course, 15-credit online certificate programs. Focus on the top leadership and management topics for the fire and EMS industry.
The certificate option is ideal for those not interested in earning a bachelor’s degree, or those who already hold a bachelor’s degree but still seek a new credential in Emergency Management or Fire Service Management.
The online Emergency Management and Fire Service Management certificates are for professionals who want to develop or improve management and leadership skills. The certificate is designed to benefit chiefs, assistant chiefs, captains, lieutenants, firefighters, paramedics, fire instructors and fire inspectors.
Emergency Management (Five courses/15 credits)
- FERM 365: Politics of Emergency Management
- FERM 366: Emergency Planning and Administration
- FERM 340: Introduction to Emergency Management
- FERM 341: Technology in Emergency Management
- FERM 342: Disaster Operation and Decision Making
Fire Service Management (Five courses/15 credits)
- FERM 351: Occupational Safety and Health in Emergency Services
- FERM 401: Fire Prevention Organization and Management
- FERM 402: Community Risk Reduction for Fire and Emergency Services
- FERM 408: Management of Emergency Services
- COMM 322: Intercultural Communication
There are some entrance requirements for certificate students. Prior to enrolling in the FERM certificate program, student must have completed the following requirements:
- Firefighter 1 and 2 OR EMT Basic, Advanced, IV Tech; or Paramedic (Diploma or AAS) and National Registry
- Three years of full-time experience (career, paid/on call or volunteer)
- Two recommendation letters (one from applicant’s Fire Chief and one from a colleague/supervisor) that can be emailed from the workplace
How much will it cost?
Budgeting for your certificate is manageable with our standard tuition rate for all professional certificate courses, $360 per credit. Courses taken outside of your professional certificate requirements may have additional fees.
How long will it take?
Thanks to our accelerated seven-week course format, each professional certificate can be completed on a schedule that fits around your personal and professional obligations.
Online Degree Programs
Lincoln Hall, Second Floor
608 Algoma Blvd.
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.