All tutoring through the Center for Academic Resources is based on the peer tutoring model. Below is an explanation of the model and what it takes to become a peer tutor. Tutoring at the Center for Academic Resources is available for students enrolled on the Oshkosh campus.
What is peer tutoring?
Peer tutoring is a peer-mediated learning environment in which students serve as academic tutors in courses they have earned a high grade in at UWO. These students work with other students currently enrolled in the course to help them understand the course content, prepare for exams, and become more confident with the material.
Who are our peer tutors?
Peer tutors are students who:
- Have already taken the course and earned a B+ or higher in it at UWO
- Have received a recommendation from a professor who teaches the course
- Have established and maintained a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA at the UWO Oshkosh campus
- Have completed 4.5 hours of tutor training prior to their first session
- Offered for many undergraduate courses on campus, focusing primarily on 100-200 level courses
- Click the “Find a Tutor” link to see if a tutor is already offered for your course
- If a tutor is not listed for your course you can request using the link below. Please note that although we will work hard to find a tutor, it is not always possible to do so
Chemistry Small Groups
- Offered for Chemistry 101 and 102
- Groups consist of 3-5 students who meet with a tutor at a predetermined time
- Sessions are conducted once per week and are one hour in length
Academic Resources Tutors
- Provide information and guidance about UWO programs and systems (Titan Web, Canvas, Blackboard Collaborate, Navigate, etc.)
- Assist with general learning strategies and resources for both online and in-person course environments
- Help develop greater organizational and time management skills
- The Center for Academic Resources is able to offer online tutoring sessions
- Online tutoring is available via Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
- Please click the “Find an Online Tutor” link to see if a tutor has online session availability for your course
*Please note that this service will require a device with audio capability
Student Success Center, Suite 102
750 Elmwood Ave
Monday-Thursday: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tutoring is online / in-person. All SI is online.