UWO Women’s Center
Campus Center for Equity & Diversity
717 W. Irving Ave.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
The Women’s Center is available to support all pregnant, parenting, and caregiving students.
Know Your Rights
Every school that receives federal financial assistance is bound by Title IX. To be compliant with Title IX, schools must:
- excuse a student’s absences because of pregnancy or childbirth for as long as the student’s doctor deems the absences medically necessary;
- allow the student to continue participating in classes and extracuricular activities even though they are pregnant;
- assist pregnant and parenting students who have excused absences by providing them with make-up assignments and exams;
- allow the student to return to the same academic and extracurricular status as before their medical leave began;
- not refuse to allow students to submit work after a deadline they missed because of pregnancy or childbirth; and
- allow the student to make up the credits they didn’t have a chance to earn, if their grade is dependent on participation or attendance.
Learn more about your rights under Title IX at http://www.thepregnantscholar.org/.
If you are experiencing discrimination because you are pregnant or parenting, contact the Title IX Coordinator:
Dempsey Hall 328
In accordance with policy GEN 4.B.5 in the Faculty/Staff Handbook, instructors are required to accommodate absences due to:
- medical care for pregnancy;
- childcare issues; or
- death or serious health problem of a family member.
The instructor is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations or opportunities to make up course obligations that have an impact on the course grade. Documentation may be required. If so, it must be provided within 14 days of the absence.
If needed, you can request an Out of Class Letter from the Dean of Students by emailing DOSOutOfClass@uwosh.edu.
Financial Aid for Childcare
If you have one or more children in childcare, you may qualify to have your cost of attendance increased on your FAFSA in the amount for which is paid in childcare expenses for the applicable semester(s). The Childcare Cost Add-On Worksheet is available through the Financial Aid Office (email@example.com). The worksheet requires the childcare provider’s information and signature.
UW Oshkosh Children’s Learning and Care Center (CLCC)
UW Oshkosh Lincoln Hall
608 Algoma Blvd., Oshkosh,WI 54901
The Children’s Learning and Care Center offers reduced rates for students. Drop-in care for children who are not regularly scheduled is available and can be arranged by calling the number above. For more information, visit their website or email the Interim Director, Jacquie Pluim, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UW Oshkosh Fox Cities Children’s Center
1478 Midway Road
Menasha, Wisconsin 54952
Children are enrolled for a half day, with or without lunch or a full day. A minimum weekly attendance is two half days. For more information, visit their website or email the Director, Joan Roy, at email@example.com.
Child Care Access Means Parents in School Program (CCAMPIS)
UW Oshkosh is a Department of Education CCAMPIS grantee. Per the Department of Education, “this program supports the participation of low-income parents in postsecondary education through the provision of campus-based child care services.”
Eligibility parameters for assistance through this grant:
- The student-parent must be enrolled on the Oshkosh campus.
- The child(ren) must be enrolled at the Children’s Learning and Care Center (CLCC) at UWO.
- The student-parent has to be eligible to receive the Federal Pell Grant. The student-parent does not have to be currently receiving a Pell Grant, they simply must be eligible. Graduate student-parents are not eligible for Federal Pell Grants but if their FAFSA shows they would be eligible based on income, then they are eligible to receive CCAMPIS funds.
The funds cover between 45-55% of childcare tuition. The funds do not go directly to the student-parent; the funds go to the CLCC and are applied directly toward tuition.
For more information, email the CLCC Interim Director, Jacquie Pluim, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lactations spaces are available on the Oshkosh campus. Click here for locations.
Spaces on the Fox Cities and Fond du lac campuses are forthcoming.
The scholarships below are specifically for student parents; applications open in the fall semester.
- Carla Roberts Special Education Teaching Scholarship ($500)
- Colleen Gibbons Daugherty Nursing Scholarship ($1,000)
- Diane R. Cholewinski Memorial Nursing Scholarship ($525)
- Dr. Michael P. Ford Scholarship ($2,000)
- Edward J. Dempsey and Sadie A. Dempsey Memorial Teaching Scholarship ($2,750)
- Helen Shure Nursing Scholarship ($2,500)
- Linda Knapp McCreery Memorial Scholarship ($500)
Many more scholarships are available. For specific recommendations that meet your eligibility, create an account in Academic Works.
For more information on scholarships and Academic Works, contact Financial Aid:
- Dempsey 104, (920) 424-3377