The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh College of Business requires students to compliment their academic studies with practical business experience. With professional internships, the internship program connects students to employers both domestic and abroad.
Internships are professional experiences that students participate in to gain professional skills and experiences. Internships are structured as learning experiences that combine in-class theory with real-world applications.
For an organization, a College of Business intern can be a great asset. They can fill an immediate need or work on a project that has been on the back-burner for years.
Internship Course Requirement
Criteria For An Experience To Be Defined As An Internship
To ensure that an experience is educational, and thus eligible to be considered a legitimate internship by the NACE definition, all the following criteria must be met:
- The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
- The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
- There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
- There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
- There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
Questions to consider when evaluating an internship opportunity:
- What advanced skills and knowledge are ESSENTIAL for this position? How will this position enhance my learning in the College of Business coursework?
- What responsibilities of this position require advanced coursework at an institution of higher education?
- What will I learn or experience from this internship that I haven’t had the opportunity to learn or experience yet?
- Who will provide supervision and training throughout the internship?
Positions that typically will NOT be considered a professional experience:
- Customer service representative
- Bank teller
- Community adviser
- Point of sale representative
- Administrative assistant
- Sales floor personnel
- General laborer
- Brand ambassador
Typical Internship Roles and Responsibilities
Click on a button below to learn more about a typical internships in your desired major:
Interactive Web Management
Supply Chain Management
Average Internship Hourly
Wage by Major
|Accounting - Public||$22.76|
|Accounting - Private||$15.40|
|Interactive Web Management||-|
|Supply Chain Management||$15.65|